three

Sans held the door open for Papyrus, who had been cradling the injured dog. The younger brother cooed at the animal, who simply stared back with blank eyes. Papyrus sighed and entered their home, walking in through the doorway sideways as to not let the dog hit anything.

Papyrus entered their living room and set the dog on the couch. He rolled up the sleeves of his sweater. "BRACE YOURSELF, PUP." He warned as he grabbed the dogs hind leg. The dog let out, as one could describe, a sigh as it kept its maw shut tight, eyes closed expecting the onslaught of pain about to ensue. Papyrus sighed and grabbed the ankle of the dislocated leg and their hindquarters, and pushed them together until a satisfying "pop" echoed throughout the room. The dog let out a snarl of pain before testing its leg out, flexing it back and forth.

"ALL BETTER?" Papyrus asked, crouched down with his hands on his knees. The dog let out a small chuff in response, licking Papyrus' cheek thankfully. Papyrus snorted and lightly batted the dogs muzzle away before popping a browbone upwards in confusion. "ARE YOU A BOY OR GIRL?" He asked, moreso to himself, as he reached behind the dog to lift up its tail. The dog snarled in response, shimmying its butt away from the tall skeleton who had his hands up in the universal 'calm down' sign. Sans walked into the living room with his cleaver and hand and pointed it towards the dog.

"play nice, mutt." Sans growled, shoving his hand in his pocket. "know your place."

"SANS." Papyrus chastised. "BE NICE. I WOULDN'T LIKE IT IF SOMEONE EXAMINED MY PELVIC BONES TO DETERMINE MY GENDER, EITHER. I DOUBT YOU WOULD, TOO." Sans sighed and pinched his naval bone before wandering back to the kitchen. "OK... MUTT. IS THAT YOUR NAME NOW? I DON'T KNOW. ANYWAYS, I AM GOING TO HOLD UP TWO FINGERS! POKE THE FINGER THAT IDENTIFIES AS YOUR GENDER."

"BOY." Papyrus held up one finger. "GIRL." Papyrus held up two fingers. "CHOOSE."

The dog looked between the two fingers before pressing its nose to the first finger, surprising Papyrus who had, for some reason, expected a female. Papyrus smiled, wider than usual, and pet the dog on the head, finally at ease knowing his gender. "SANS! THE DOG IS A BOY!" Papyrus yelled to his brother, who simply sat in the kitchen, doing nothing as a wave of pain collided over his stomach. Papyrus heard Sans' small whimper of pain and went to go check on him, crouching down to his height and bringing him into a hug.

The dog, who assumed he went by Mutt now, jumped down from the couch and stretched out his limbs. which were quite sore from being cramped for too long. He shook off his shiny black coat, stray hairs falling from him to the carpet. He padded up to the front door and sat down in front of it, waiting for at least one of the brothers to notice him. Papyrus still had his brother gathered in a hug, so Mutt assumed he wouldn't be acknowledged for at least a few minutes. He decided to lay down, his hind leg still stinging. He rested his head on his front paws, his ears stuck in a permanent upright position. He watched as Papyrus finally broke from the brotherly hug and make eye contact with Mutt.

"WHAT IS IT, MUTT?" Papyrus asked, stalking over to the dog and sitting by him. "DO YOU NEED TO RELIEVE YOURSELF?"

Mutt didn't answer, simply staring at Papyrus who blinked in curiosity.

"the pooch is prolly' trying to escape," Sans muttered, his voice gravely from quietly crying. "don' let him out. i'm goin' to bed. toss 'im in the shed before ya go sleep, ight paps?" Papyrus simply nodded in understanding, his eyelights following his brother who went up the stairs and into the room, closing the door softly.

"I'm Not Going To Put You Outside." Papyrus whispered to Mutt, who turned his attention to him. "Do You Want To Share A Bed With Me? This Is... Kind Of Embarrassing On My End, But I Get Horrible Night Terrors. Maybe... Having You Beside Me Would Let Me Rest Easy?" Papyrus questioned, more to himself than anything. He looked back at Mutt for a response who simply blinked, before standing up and wandering up the stairs, sitting down in front of Papyrus' room, which had the door closed.

Papyrus smiled and followed Mutt, opening the door. Mutt stood in the doorway, taking in his room. His room was relatively clean, but everything in it was broken beyond repair. Bite marks littered almost everything, and his race car bed looked far too small for the tall skeleton. Mutt sat down beside the faded-red racecar bedframe, waiting for Papyrus to lay down. Papyrus gave Mutt a pat on the head and scratched between his ears before walking over to his dresser, taking out moth-eaten pyjamas. He changed into them, which Mutt looked away for. Hey, he may be a dog but at least he has proper manners. Papyrus crawled into his bed and curled up, dangling a hand over the end of his bed and rested it on Mutt's stomach. Mutt licked Papyrus' hand before laying down, himself.

"GOODNIGHT, MUTT."

Mutt simply chuffed.