Chapter Nine: A Winter's Ball

Aaron watched Alex sitting down at his desk, drawing. Drawing, like always. Of course the new kid got to be Mr. Washington's helper, his right hand man. But one thing they had in common was that they both wanted to go to the Winter's Ball. And they both had no one to go with.

Mr. Washington stood up. "Okay, guys, I know you're excited about the Winter's Ball..." Everyone cheered. "...but keep in mind that you don't have to come, and if you do, just come for fun, okay?" They cheered again.

Maybe this was good. Aaron could go solo...that way he could dance with everyone.

****

"You know the best part about this?" Aaron asked Alex and John as they walked towards the class at night.

Alex grinned. "No, what?" asked John, oblivious as ever.

"The ladies!" Aaron and Alex said in unison.

"Here we are,The Winter's Ball, and the Schuyler Sisters are the envy of all! Yo, if you could go with a sister, you're rich, son."

"Is it a question of if," asked Alex, "or which one?"

John finally caught on.

"Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey, hey!" the boys said goofily, waltzing up to the girls.

Angelica rolled her eyes, Eliza laughed, and Peggy growled.

Angelica turned to Peggy. "You go back to the car, Daddy said-"

"I WANNA GO TO THE BALL!!!" Peggy whined.

"No, you're not old enough. The only reason you come to school with us is because you're older than the other kids in your year."

"I! WANNA! GO!"

Eliza looked at Angelica. "Peggy, come on, Daddy said he'd get you ice-cream..."

Peggy glared at her and stomped out of the room. "FINE! BUT ONLY 'CAUSE I LIKE ICE-CWEAM!"

Laf walked over to Angelica and Alex smoothly (well, not really) pushed him out of the way and grinned at her.

"Hi, Angelica," said Alex. They conversed for a moment, but then Eliza walked over to them. "Hi Eliza."

Eliza turned red. "Hi, Alex, um, nicenightisn'tit?I'mgonnagetsomethingtodrink!"

Angelica rolled her eyes again. "Jeez. ELIZA COME HERE!"

"UM NO THANKS! MmmI'mreallythirsty..."

"She's shy," Angelica said, turning to Alex again.

"Oh, okay..."

Angelica blushed and turned away. "I'm gonna see if I can find her," she said.

Eliza blushed and tucked her hair behind her ear as Angelica walked over to her. "Eliza! What are you doing?" she said, exasperated. "What do you mean?" "ALEX IS A BOY. WHO YOU LIKE. AND WHO IS OBLIVIOUS TO THE FACT THAT YOU LIKE HIM. Eliza, if you keep running away he's gonna think you DON'T like him!! You gotta...tell him or something! Or he might start to like someone else!!"

 "Okay, okay, sheesh."