Chapter#13: What If It's...

Alexander was sitting in his room looking at the ceiling. Not actually. He was in a deep thought. You get the idea😉

Mr Nickels came to his room to tell him that their food had arrived but only a glance of him was enough for his father to understand that something was wrong, "Is something bothering you?"

"It's nothing", Xander replied.

He entered Xander's room and sat on the chair next to him, "I'm here."

"Don't worry about it, dad", Xander replied.

"Tell me. May be I can help."

"I'll figure it out", Xander closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"I want to know what's bothering you", his dad said.

"It's complicated", Xander answered. He didn't knew where to start. He was having mixed feelings about Ana.

"Your mother would have known exactly what's bothering you......if she was alive. You always shared everything with her-"

"It's not that, dad", Xander interrupted him.

"No, no...I'm not complaining. It's just...I know you don't have the habit of sharing you problems with anyone. You try to deal with everything yourself. And you do deal with everything yourself but in the process...I don't know if this makes sense or not but keeping everything inside yourself is disturbing you", Xander's dad explained.

Xander who had been looking at his dad while he said all that, smiled and held his dad's hand, "You're here. Your presence makes it tolerable."

"What if I'm not here tomorrow?"

Xander removed his hand which was on top of his dad's hand, "Not again, dad!"

"Well it's true, isn't it. How many years of my life do you think are left?"

"A thousand, you hear that? You are going to live for the next thousand years!"

"I'm old and I get sick regularly-"

"Not now, dad. Please!", Alexander had enough going on in his mind already.

"Your mom died peacefully, you know. She had a smile on her face. Because....in her last days, she did tell me once that she wasn't leaving us alone....that she was relieved that in her absence, I would have you and you would have me......"

Xander was quiet.

".....I want the same relief in my heart. I want to be sure that you have someone with you. Stop pushing everyone away! How many times Jeremy invited you to his new house?! He's going to give up too one day, you realize that?", his father said.

"I don't deserve him anyway", was Xander's only reply.

"I'm starting to think that you need serious therapy sessions", Mr Nickels mumbled.

"Why do you think you don't deserve anyone?", Mr Nickels continued.

Xander did not answer.

Mr Nickels understood that the conversation was over, "Our postmates arrived. Wash your hands and come downstairs. I'm waiting."

Xander nodded.

#################################

Xander threw himself on the couch in the living room after a long day of work. He turned on the TV and placed his feet, together with the shoes on, on the table.

"WHAT WAS THAT AUNT?! YOU WANT ME TO PUT MY FEET OFF THE TABLE!? HA! TOO BAD, YOU'RE NOT HERE...!", He was just talking to himself because he thought he was alone in the house.

A shriek escaped his mouth when his eyes fell on the doorway where a rather younger version of his aunt stood. Kate.
She was giving him a look of disbelief, "Wierdo!"

"How did you get in!!?", Xander exclaimed.

She held out the key, "Mom handed it to me. I was going to take my best dress to the dry clean and she wanted me take your suit there too. Here you go." She said placing the neatly folded suit besides him, "You're welcome."

"Why bother? I don't have any occasion to wear it to", Xander asked.

"No, you have an occasion. We are going to Ethan's in-laws' house this weekend. The Rodriguezes, remember?"

"Yes, I do remember", the name 'Rodriguez' alarmed in his head. "I won't go."

"Good time telling that to mom", Kate challenged.

"Lie for me", Xander said.

"No."

"Please. Tell her I'm working overtime in the office."

"No", Kate replied.

"40 dollars."

"70."

"37."

"That's not fair!", Kate almost shouted.

Alexander mind rang at that time, "I'll give you 55 if you do one more thing for me.

"First tell me what it is", Kate said.

Xander sat up straight and patted the seat next to him. Kate sat.

"In the Rodriguez house, you will find a girl, same age as Isabelle, Ana. I want you to talk to her-"

"-who is she?", Kate interrupted.

"A friend."

"Works for me."

"So, where was I? Yeah! Befriend her. Do not tell her that I have sent you-"

"-why?", Kate interrupted him again.

Xander glared at him.

"I ought to know what I'm doing", Kate reasoned.

"Let's say....we didn't end on good terms. Yeah, that works", Xander said. "Just ask her about her whereabouts, what she did after high school, her hobbies, her favourite colour and.....", Alexander thought for a moment if he should get there,"....if...she's engaged?"

"You said she was your friend!", Kate jumped.

"If you do this perfectly, I'll tell you the whole story", Xander offered immediately.

"Hmm", Kate relaxed. "That will be worth it."

"So, you won't take the money?", Xander asked hopefully.

"Ofcourse I would! How else am I supposed to pay for the nail salon?", Kate said.

"Fine. Don't share any of this with aunt. I mean it", Xander warned.

Kate looked at him, "60."

Xander pressed his teeth to prevent himself from swearing out loud, "Done."

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^