Chapter 3

03

03

"We were together for almost 3 years. Pero tangina," he paused, trying to calm himself but he failed. "Sa loob ng mga panahon na 'yon, malalaman kong niloloko niya ako?"

He laughed hard. But it was the kind of laugh that put us in pain. Crest held my hand tightly. When I stared at her, she didn't even try to prevent her tears. Nanginginig ang mga labi niya sa galit at inis habang ako ay nag-aalab na rin ang puso dahil ito ang unang pagkakataon na makita naming umiyak si Ady.

The moments earlier flow smoothly like a quiet river in a hidden forest. But Ady invited us to a KTV session. We thought it was just a normal gala to unwind but the moment he mentioned that Crest, Kino, and I are the ones who were only invited, I knew this was kind of a serious matter. How can a quiet river become loud, leading us to discover that all along, the hidden forest is already bruised and wounded?

"I love her..." he breathed shakily. "Sa sobrang pagmamahal, pakiramdam ko sabihan niya lang ulit ako na mahal niya pa rin ako, hinding-hindi ako magdadalawang-isip na balikan siya."

He bit his lower lip, trying to suppress a sob. "I don't really understand the reason why she cheated on me. I always make time to make her feel how much I love her. I...I always adjust to her availability. Hangga't maaari, ayaw ko siyang nahihirapan. That's why I always offer her my help and a lot of choices that benefit her. But..."

Ady couldn't finish his rants. Instead, the tears burst out. My lips parted slightly, fully empathizing with him. He's so...heartbroken. Nakita kong inabutan ni Kino ng panyo si Crest habang inaalo rin si Ady. He tapped his back, comforting him.

There was a long pause. The atmosphere was heavy but we gave the space for him. We made sure that he feels comfortable to us when it comes in crying. We all know how hard to them as gentlemen to cry with people. But he had the courage to show it to us. And with that, I know everyone is proud of him.

Nabasag lang ang katahimikan na 'yon nang marinig namin ang malakas na pagsinghot ni Crest. Mabuti na lang din at bahagyang natawa si Ady. Maybe that's the hint for Kino to lighten up the mood. He teased Crest again by saying, "Bagyong Crest."

"Gaga, ipakain ko pa sa 'yo tong sininghot ko, e!"

"Salaula!" Kino winced, giving Crest a what-the-hell look.

Hindi ko tuloy maiwasang matawa. Dumako ang tingin ko kay Ady na kahit papaano ay mukhang gumaan naman ang pakiramdam. Pasimple kong kinuha ang shot glass at sinalinan iyon ng Gin. I, then, gave it to him.

"Shot puno?"

He chuckled, accepting the glass from my hand. Isang deretso niya lang iyong ininom hanggang sa muling nagsalita si Crest.

"Pero guys, on a serious note, ha," she paused, drinking her champagne. "When it comes to love kasi, we are so ready to gamble everything—even our own happiness and freedom. 'Di ba? Kaya nga minsan hindi natin napapansin na tayo na lang 'yong palaging nag-a-adjust kahit tayo mismo ay nahihirapan na."