Chapter 15

-Suga I'm sorry.

-Please respond.

-Im an idiot. You're my best friend. I never should have betrayed your trust.

-Please.

-please just answer so i know you're like...alive...

-I'm sorry.

Daichi had sent me these and ten more texts from last night and into this morning. It was the weekend and I slept in late. I didn't pay attention to the texts but just sat up groggily in bed.

He could wait. I'd see him on Monday anyway.

I had bigger problems than my asshole of a best friend.

I needed to convince my parents to let me go to that training camp. I had to go.

My phone buzzed again. Another text from Daichi. I rolled my eyes. I didn't need to respond. I could let him worry for a few days.

"Koushiiiiiiiii, can we go play volleyyybaaallllll," Taiyo asked from the doorway of my room. I looked at him with half-opened eyes.

"Sure, let me just wake up," I mumbled, "Why are you of all people up so early anyway?" I slept in late every weekend and only got out of bed around nine-thirty. But my little brother could sleep all day.

"I don't know. I woke up and got out of bed," He shrugged in a squirmy, childlike way, "Now are you getting up or what?"

"Yeah," I laughed.

The day was warm and Taiyo and I passed the volleyball in our backyard. I tossed the ball up into the air above my head and set it forward to him. He took a step back and received the ball on his forearms, passing it back to me. It was a little low for me to set, so I passed it back to him the same way Taiyo had.

We played for an hour or so before my mom called us inside to help her put groceries away. Now was my chance to ask about the training camp.

"Hey mom, there's something coming up in a few weeks for volleyball. It's a training camp specializing in different positions. I really wanted to go so I could work on setting. I would be super careful and Coach Ukai would make sure of it-well actually I take that back-Takeda would. But I would never push myself too far. Please," I said.

"I don't know, Koushi. It seems too early," She told me.

"Mom, it's been forever. I'm almost healed; I promise," I insisted.

She thought for a few more minutes, "Maybe I'll ask your doctor."

"Mommmm, you know if you ask a doctor they will dramatize it. I'm fine," I told her.

"Koushi, please," my mom let out an irritated huff and leaned against the table, looking at me, "Could you just-ech-just put the groceries away. We'll talk about this later." My mom left the room, leaving me to finish.

My shoulders dropped in disappointment. There was no way I was going now.

When I finally finished, there was a knock on the door. I opened it to Asahi standing there.

"Asahi, what are you doing here?" I said calmly.

"I had to know if what Daichi said yesterday was true," He stared at the ground as he spoke.

"No. I'm perfectly fine. He's just a crazy worrier lately. Doesn't want me getting hurt again I guess," I laughed nervously, rubbing the back of my neck.

"Sugawara, no. I know something's wrong; you cannot deny that anymore. Please," Asahi looked up at me.

I felt a sense of deja vu wash over me. Why did everyone care? Why was everyone reciting the same lines?

"I don't want to talk about it," I told Asahi, looking away.

Asahi made a shocked, choking kind of noise, "Oh-okay. Well, if you ever do, you know you can talk to me.

"Right, yeah. Thank you," I told him, "Do you wanna come in? I was just putting groceries away and then Taiyo and I were probably gonna go pass a volleyball for longer."

"No, thanks for the offer though. My sister's in town. My parents have plans with her. I'll see you Monday though," Asahi said.

"Alright, see you later, then," I waved. He seemed uncertain walking away. I went back inside before Asahi could turn back around and try talking again. I was honestly surprised Asahi of all people had the courage to come to talk to me at all. He was horrible with confrontation.

"Koushi!" My mom called me from the other room.

"Yeah?" I asked, finding her.

"I've thought it through. I think you can go, so long as you are very, very careful. I want you to call me every day and tell me how it was feeling. And do not think about lying. Got it?"

"Yes! Thank you, mom!" I hugged her quickly, before running to email Coach Ukai and Takeda that I would be going.

Nothing was stopping me from playing anymore. 

Sorry for the short chapter but I had to get something out. More important things will happen soon I promise.