Episode 26

Horace frantically raced after Jasper through the village as he kept running and shouting for Camari and Aaron. Sheer terror pulsed through Jasper's veins with each street that he raced down. Horace eventually caught up to Jasper who was out of breathe, sweat beaded his brow.

"Jasper, you need to calm down or we'll get nothing done," counseled Horace when he neared Jasper.

Jasper lour at Horace, tears stained his cheeks. "Don't you care! Aaron and Camari can't be found anywhere! There are no traces of either of them near or around the village."

"Of course I do!" retaliated Horace as he sat by Jasper, "I care for them, but we're wasting time the more we run around. We need to regroup with everyone else."

Jasper stood up. "You're right. I need to calm down and regroup. I'm sorry."

"You don't need to apologize," said Horace and guided Jasper to the plaza.

Once there, Aphmau appeared with Laurance, Katelyn, Vylad, and Dante in tow. Each wore exhausted expressions, their shoulders heaved forward from worry. Aphmau interrogated Jasper and Horace for any sign of Aaron or Camari, but found nothing.

"Lady Aphmau! Refugees in Phoenix Drop were attacked!" intruded Mikai, he shook in fear.

Aphmau demanded, "By who? We need to go through the portal."

"O'Kasis and Tu'la," spit out Mikai with disgust.

Horace flashed Jasper with whip and dagger while Jasper checked on his sickle. Wearing grim masks, Jasper and Horace followed Aphmau through the lilac portal to Phoenix Drop, the sound of wind filled their ears. A serene sense of their fibers being flexed took them to the village in an instant.

When they reached their destination all nether broke loose. In the distance alarm bells were ringing as all residents and refugees were being evacuated to the island. Through the disarray Jasper and Horace travelled down the barren streets with Aphmau and the group. Jasper's muscles tensed when Laurance pulled him and Dante aside.

"I need your help to move the citizens. Jasper and Dante, I need you to move the families from the eastern side." Laurance ordered with composure, "I'll take care of the western side."

"Yes, sir," Jasper and Dante said together. 

Jasper ran over to Horace as quickly as he could. "I'm needed as a guard. Can you get the ferrets?"

"Yes, Jasper,"  Horace reported, "I want you to stay safe. I'll see you back at the island."

Jasper held Horace tightly and whispered, "I love you."

"I love you, too, sweetie," Horace returned with a long kiss. 

Jasper joined Dante who was ready to leave and left Aphmau, Katelyn, Travis, Vylad, and Horace behind. Horace went up to Aphmau and before he could say anything a women with cerise hair appeared at the front gate. A wicked smirk plastered across her face did not meet her dead eyes.

"I'm here for Lady Aphmau," viscously drawled Ivy the Venom Scythe.

---

Camari leaned against the wooden rails of a small boat, ginger coated her mouth. On occasion her stomach would churn with nothing coming up. In front of her the sun sank lower into the ocean as they drew neared to Phoenix Drop. Sounds of the wave smacking the hull echoed across the silent waters. Soon Aaron emerged from below deck to join Camari by the sea, he looked weary.

"Why do you still have it?" commanded Camari.

Aaron justified, "It's the only way to kill Zane Ro'Meave. I need to do it for what he did to Lilly and Jacob."

"That bastard used the fragment's magicks to kill them." growled Camari, "That is something I can never forgive him for."

"How did you know that I had it?" gruffly asked Aaron.

Camari nearly smirked, "You're just as bad of a liar as I am. Plus, I could smell that rotting leaf stench from anywhere. It emits from that fragment for some strange reason."

"I've never asked you this since it was never brought up in conversation. Do you have any siblings?" curiously inquired Aaron.

Camari shook her head. "No, it was only my mother and father."

"Do they have any names?" half laughed Aaron, "It's like prying finger nails to learn anything about you."

"My father was Daisuke Meyer and my mother was Rin Meyer," hesitantly responded Camari, "We lived in a quaint mountain village near Ru'uan's border. All of them are-"

Aaron interrupted her, "I heard what Ivy the Venom Scythe said that day."

"That explains everything else about me," hastily remarked Camari.

"You can't ask me anything because you already know all there is," commented Aaron "Except for Aph, she saved me by helping me grieve. I truly care for her."

"She helped me, too," reminisced Camari, "Everyone in Phoenix Drop helped me to find my purpose."

"Me, too"

Camari stretched out her fingers, her scythe rattled against the railing. "I know. You should get some rest."

Aaron said nothing as he went below deck leaving Camari with her thoughts. Worry gripped her every idea and there was nothing that she could do. Camari always decided to follow Aaron as far as she could and kept to it.