party (part 1)

I didn't know Timothée st all, but he caught my eye immediately. I was on the first floor of one of my friend of a friend's house, the party had been going a few hours prior, just picking up. He was talking to another girl, she didn't seem very thrilled either. Eyes down at her hands, fidgeting with the ring on her middle finger. She was around my height, not too much shorter than him, brown wavy hair falling down past her chin to the top of her soft blue tank top.

I spoke to Maize first, my roommate, taking my attention from the strangers drama up until the tail end of it. Right as Maize got swept away, the girl escaped their conversation, dismissing herself into a crowd of people.

I turned, also beginning the threaded journey through a crowd of stumbling college kids. I watch the floor, avoiding any spilled drinks or food to spare my new Reebok's. I wide stepped over a spills white claw but before I could gain any balance back a friend grabbed my arm. She pulled me a little too roughly over to them in a way I can only describe as drunkingly.

Standing around Claire (the one w the grip on my upper arm) was Kendal, the boy I had seen earlier and a few more people I'd never seen before.

"Mars," she laughed in a little snort, "Timothée's girlfriend broke up with him at the party," her laughing got harder as she tried to tell me, "isn't that embarrassing?"

The boy just introduced to me only shook his head, somehow despite the bullying he was smiling in amusement. "Not quite," he spoke over the music, "but the story doesn't matter," in dismissal. He was also wearing a ring on his middle finger, playing with it the same way the girl was.

"Super embarrassing," I agreed giggling with Claire, who let go of my arm to hold Kendal's. I leaned in a little closer to Timothée. He had black curly hair, eyes a bright green and tired looking as he met my gaze, "doing okay?" I asked.

Timothée shrugged nonchalantly, "it wasn't so much a break up, more like she ghosted me two months ago and finally today told me she never wants to talk to me again," he said it all with a smile, running his hands through his messy curls.

Maybe asking him what he did to make her wanna break up was too deep to get into with a stranger at a party so I just nodded.

"Well," I sat up straighter, brushing back my bangs from my face, "I think it's time I get another drink."

Timothée didn't really react for a moment, his eyes seemed to flicker over me, "how about I get one for you?" He offered.

"Really?"

" I don't make offers I don't mean."

Blinking once I only nodded towards the back corner where they were dishing out drinks, turning away as he disappeared to get them.