Crossing Streams

United States/ Canada border

Carway, Alberta, Canada

March 29, 1998

Nine days... The Pals were on the run for nine DAYS!

They had to get to Chad and Audrey on their honeymoon (which, by the way, is in Venice) but that was halfway across the world! The Pals took Seniac's SUV, to cross the border, and don't worry, they weren't illegals or anything, they went through Customs.

They stopped at a sleepy little town a few miles from the border called Carway. Which had a petrol station and convenient store, so they could stock up on bottled water and beef jerky, which I don't think will suffice. Tired and worn out from the driving and running, Denis had to assure them,

"You guys don't need to worry, we'll be at the Customs Office in a few minutes. It's just within sight, look over there," he said pointing at the office just in the distance, a little bit off the horizon. The rocky and rugged hills that were all where they sat. As the minutes went by, everyone had to snack on what little they had left. And by the time they'd ran out, The Pals arrived at the Customs Office. Which was more like a great extended toll booth, with cars passing through, then to park at the thirty football field long parking lots, to be registered as American citizens. 

As Denis drove the vehicle closer to the booth, he rolled down the window, and the man in the booth greeted them with a: 

"Welcome to The United States, Land of The Free, Home of The Brave, and a good migration destination. What can I do for you, sir?"

There wasn't much time to decide what exactly to say, as they have been nonstop travelling through plains of Scottish wannabe terrain, and to be greeted by people who know about none of that, it's kinda frustrating. 

Then as Denis replied, the man said, "You look familiar, are you-" 

He stopped to have a look at Denis and everybody else in the car, with a look in his eyes, almost like intimidation and honor all at once. He stepped away from the window and told them to move on through.

They drove on in, to a new life, in a new land.

To Be Continued.....