Break XI

Third POV

***

Clara thought of her niece.

She felt conflicted.

Clara wanted to tell her big brother what she knew but didn't want to expose her niece's privacy. She knew the poor girl didn't have much of that. Besides, she didn't know the entire story, so she couldn't do anything but listen and be there for her niece.

The doorbell rang, and she sighs. "Now, who could that be?" She went to the door and unlocked it. When she swung it open, a body fell against the frame. She saw the helpless look, but her scream was from the blood.

"Auntie?!"

The person was a young man. He sways with a pained groan. "Help...help me." He fell forward, and the woman caught him but struggled to hold him.

"Jade! Get the first aid kit from that bathroom!" She doesn't notice her niece's indignant expression as she tries to relax the young man. "Shh, don't you worry. We will help you, you poor thing." She guides him to sit on the stairs.

Jade returns, trying to hold her displeasure. She hands her aunt the material and watches her treat the groaning young man. "Auntie, let me wrap his neck." She takes the gauze and avoids eye contact. "I'm sure he'll be fine."

"Oh, my! What could have happened to him?" Clara paces as she bites her nails. "Oh, I hope the wound wasn't from anything dangerous like a gang fight, but the city isn't nearby-- where did he come from at such a late time-- helping him won't make us accomplices, right?"

"Auntie, relax." Jade sighs as she tightens the gauze. "He will be fine. Let's call the police-" The young man groans as a protest, and she scowls as her aunt takes the bait.

"Oh, he needs to rest." Clara goes up the stairs. "Will you be fine to carry him to the guest room? He's quite heavy, and I'm sure he's a minute away from passing out."

"Guest room?" A short laugh got her attention. "What?"

"I guess we're both not leaving." The young man says.

Jade narrows her eyes. "Think again-"

"Jade, the guest room is fine! Bring him, please!"

"Oh, I'll bring him, alright." Jade hurriedly takes the young man by his arm to drag him upstairs. He groans along the way, but she doesn't care. "I don't know what you think you're doing, Butch. First thing tomorrow morning, you're out of here."

"Only with you, sweetheart."

They reach the door, and she forces him on his feet as she puts his arm around her shoulder. She tries not to cringe at their proximity as she helps him to the bed. She pushed him down when her aunt wasn't watching.

"He could be a runaway survivor."

"What?"

"There have been recent kidnappings, and police would find the victims with gashes like his but dead." Clara stares at the young man with her churning stomach. She was a second from throwing up her dinner. "He must've been kidnapped, escaped, and wandered here."

Her aunt's words were concerning, but Jade knew they didn't apply to their guest. "Maybe, but we can't be sure, but that doesn't mean we can't call the poli-" The young man groans, and her patience is ready to leave.

"What if he has amnesia?"

"Auntie-"

"Or what if he's too traumatized to speak?"