One and Only

~thought #1~

"I know I'm not your only, but at least I'm one. I've heard a little love, is better than none." -Just a Little Bit Of Your Heart

So when I first heard this song I immediately thought it was beautiful.

I interpreted it through the perspective of a lover. The person that somebody cheats with.

Everybody always calls the person your partner cheated with a whore, bitch, dick, asshole, and a bunch of other extremely rude things. But, does anybody else realize that maybe that other person feels pain as well.

You know how there are scenarios where there's a guy/girl who is two timing and the other two are completely clueless. Yeah, that's not what I mean.

I mean, think about it this way.What if there's somebody who is incredibly in love with someone else. But, this person has a partner.

Now, they know each other, they're friends, and that person knows about their feelings towards them. So the bitch takes advantage of the situation and suggests they hook up. But after, they say that they will still continue their other relationship. Now Mallory (let's name them that for now) knew this but wishes there was some way they could still be close to Jesse (the asshole). So in desperation they, propose a deal, How about making this a thing? Jesse could continue their relationship, but can also occasionally hook up with them. Jesse, being the imbecile they are, agrees.

So this continues for a while. During this time Jesse makes Mallory feel like they're special, showering them with kind words which are not 100% sincere. Because in reality Jesse only comes over when they want to have sex, leaves right after, and doesn't even bother calling/talking to Mallory much outside of work until they want to hook up again.

So let me break up the song :

"I don't ever ask you where you've been"

Mallory never asks Jesse why he/she doesn't call them sometimes. They know they have no place or right to asks such things. Deep down they no they're nothing but a side thing and can't ask for more.

"And I don't feel the need to know who you're with. I can't even think straight, but I can tell that you were just with her."

Usually Jesse goes over to Mallory's after being with the other. Mallory never asks who Jesse was with. Another reason is because they kind of already know the answer. But it hurts. It's heart breaking and gut wrenching and just downright painful and it feels like they're choking because Jesse has someone else that they could never compete with.

"And I'll still be a fool. I'm a fool for you."

They continue nonetheless. They'll do anything if it means being with them. Though it hurts it doesn't stop the feelings Mallory has for Jesse. Because no matter what they'll always be there for them.

"Just a little bit of your heart
Just a little bit is all I want
Just a little bit of your heart
Just a little bit is all I'm asking for"

I'm not asking for much I simply wish that I was important to you in some way. That I somewhat mattered to you. Is that to much to ask?

"I don't ever tell you how I really feel. Cause I can't find the words to say what I mean."

Mallory can't express how they really feel. They can't say that they want them to stay after having sex. They can't say that they want them to be there to hold them or be held by them. Can't say that they want soft sweet kisses instead of just rough lustful ones. There's not even a way to say so. The agreement was to let Jesse and their partner be. They're merely coworkers and fuckbuddies. Nothing more.

"And nothing's ever easy, that's what they say"

Everybody says that life isn't easy. It will crush you and there's not much you can do about it. It wasn't easy when your parents were verbally abusive. It wasn't easy having to work hard to get a scholarship to a good university. It wasn't easy having your parents look at you in disgust and practically shove you out of your own home. It wasn't easy leaving behind the city you knew as home. It wasn't easy being hurt so much by your so called friends throughout your college life. It wasn't easy finding a job where there wouldn't be as many assholes and rude people as there were in your previous jobs. And it definitely wasn't easy to know that you are not good enough to be the only person somebody wants.

"I know I'm not your only, but at least I'm one. I've heard a little love is better than none."

Although Jesse isn't in a romantic relationship with Mallory they were friends. Jesse sees how sad Mallory looks sometimes and even if their relationship was just sexual they're not completely rude to them. They occasionally compliment them. Help them if they are ever struggling with a specific subject from work. Although Jesse tends to use Mallory for sexual needs they are quite compassionate about them.

Which is why Mallory thinks that although they're not the only person Jesse is with they're fortunate enough to even be a part of their life. Because having at least some type of small love is better than none at all.

But, yeah that's my interpretation of the song. Through a Lover's eyes.

I didn't mean for it to become a whole story but that's what comes to my mind when I hear it.

Aside from Larry of course.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this.

I chose to do this instead of my English homework but Oh Well.

I apologize if it's a bit confusing to understand. I used the terms but, now and know a lot so sorry for that. Also for them, their, they're and their. The thing is I didn't want to specify genders because I'm pretty sure this can happen to anybody. All people can be jerks just like all people can be broken.

I AM IN NO WAY SAYING CHEATING IS ALRIGHT. THIS WAS JUST MY INTERPRETATION.

Anyways thanks again and remember you're all lovely.