2

Today I woke up to my dad telling me Josh was down stairs.

At 7 am.

When I finally came down stairs, I was met with a decently dressed Josh holding a single white flower in hand.

"Did I miss some plans we had?" I ask, walking over to the fridge and pulling out a muffin.

"No..." he responds awkwardly taking a seat on the stool across the counter and placing the flower atop it.

"Then?" I sit next to him taking a bite out of the muffin.

He shrugs, "I just thought I'd come by..." he pulls out his phone.

"Dressed like that?"

He looks down at himself. "What...? Is this bad?"

"No, but why dress nicely if you're just coming over"

"Well I figured we could go to Sadie's party together."

Finishing off my makeshift breakfast I roll my eyes. "We were already going together Josh"

"Yeah but now we're going together together." He smiles. "And I figured we could go around town and do some couple stuff before we go" he shoves his hand in his pockets.

Laughing, I manage to ask, "Are you asking me out on a date?"

"Is that a yes?" He follows as I make my way up stairs.

"Most definitely." We enter my room.

"Give me like thirty minutes to get ready cause now I have to look nice too."

***

One hour later, we're sitting at the only coffee shop in a 10 mile radius on our phones, drinking coffee.

"I feel like we should be doing something other than looking at a screen." He starts.

I put my phone down and glance at him. "Okay...what."

He puts his down as well. "I don't know. It was my idea to get us here so now it's your turn to decide."

"So childish." I shift and sit back in our corner booth. "Most people talk on dates. Like they get to know each other....the thing here is, I already know you. Very, very well; so that's out the window."

"Right, sure. But we don't know each other romantically. So we could try that."

"What does that even mean? I know all about your romantic history and truth be told, you have none."

"Haha. I mean like...what we would like and wouldn't like to come out of this." He motions between the two of us. "For example, I'd really appreciate it if you didn't makeout with Stevin anymore."

He tries to say it casually, but it sounds like it took some effort to actually get those words out.

"How long have you been wanting to say that?"

"Ever since I realized I liked you. Which wasn't that long ago but still.

"I mean I figured it was given. We're dating right?" He nods and I continue. "So yeah I wasn't going to make out with another guy whilst having a boyfriend. "

He smiles.

I roll my eyes.

"I'm your boyfriend." He says through a grin.

"Yes and there's no need to announce it. I'd like for this to be just between us because it's for us and nobody else."

"You're ashamed of me?" He feigns an offended gasp with his hand to his chest. Before I can respond, he continues. "If it were up to me, the whole world would know you were mine. "

I try ignoring the butterflies that come with him calling me his. "I'm not ashamed of you. It's not about that."

"Then what is it about?"

"Not that." I smile while his face dead pans. "I just don't need everyone in our business. People already thought we were dating for the longest time you know. I'd hate to see all the 'I told you so' faces." I take a sip of my coffee, but it's cold so I set it back down.

"Okay yeah. That makes sense. Is there anything else we should discuss concerning us?"

"Not that I can think of. We should probably go and buy a gift for Sadie."

"What do you get a girl for her birthday?"

"I wouldn't know, it's not like you've ever gotten me anything." I say sliding out of the bench. The worn leather cushions squeak as I do so and Josh struggles to hold in his laughter.

The person in the next booth looks over at me.

"She didn't fart, I promise. It was the...the chair." Josh says to them.

Rushing to the exit, I mumble "If you don't shut it right now, I will break your nose."