"Owowowowowow! Easy!" Higgs growled.

Boston wrapped his arm up tightly around the two shafts of wood as Higgs held a rag with ice in it over his eye. Boston would have laughed at him but this was more serious than he had ever seen it.

"You are the dumbest idiot I have ever met."

"That's the same thing."

"It means you're doubly stupid. You know she has a temper and yet you picked a fight with Merida Dunbrough?"

"As much as I want to blame her for all this, my reaction started to the whole thing... but she didn't have to push me!"

"Be glad you weren't that far from the bottom. This will take a while to heal... and you had to go and pull this two weeks before my wedding..." Boston said with a small pout.

"Hopefully whatever I turn into next month will help me heal faster and I should be fine."

"It better... So? What happened?"

Higgs sighed. "Lady Hinkley kissed me and... she broke the naga."

Boston stopped wrapping Higgs arm and blinked at him. "Lady... Hinkley?" Higgs nodded. "You kissed Elizabeth?" Higgs nodded again. "Wait, let me rephrase that: you let Elizabeth kiss you?"

"Yes, how many times do I have to say it."

Boston started wrapping his arm more quickly. "I'd bloody well would hate you too, you moronic bastard. How could you?" he growled angrily.

"What's the big deal?" Higgs growled, yanking his arm from him. "I have had a mash on Elizabeth since before I even met Merida."

"But it's because of Merida that you were even confident enough to talk to her. It's also because of her that you were able to pursue her."

"You just said that."

"I meant that Merida had to give up her love for you to do what you wanted to do so that you could be happy. She has been so very patient with you and tried to make sure that you were always taken care of emotionally, physically, and mentally. She waited for you! The ever impatient and fiery woman that we have all come to love patiently and painstakingly waited for you to feel alright with her loving you and yet when the opportunity arose for you to find an easier route, you blow her off like a fucking fly? You ungrateful, selfish, self-absorbed, narcissistic, manipulative asshole!"

"Ow! Stop hitting me! I'm injured!" Higgs yelled.

"And you damn well should be! Give me that!" he snarled, grabbing the ice rag and his medical bag. He got up and headed to the door. "When you fix your attitude and your values, then I might be able to fix your arm and your face. Until then, you can wallow in pain for your imbecilic nature! I am a doctor, not a miracle worker!"

He slammed the door closed as Higgs made a face after him.

***********************

Merida leaned on the balcony of her room and looked over the forest behind the mansion. Something wasn't right and she knew it. After pushing Higgs down the stairs and the heart attack it gave her when she thought she killed him, it gave her some time to think over the events of the night. She had slightly instigated it with her snarky remark, but Higgs was the one who took it to a whole different level. It was unlike him to do that and not because he was naturally meek. What he had said hurt her, but she just going believe that he would drop their very calculated approach to breaking the curse with such ease and without hesitation. Even if he were in love with Elizabeth before her, he always made a point that he didn't want to reveal anything too early and yet this happened? The fact that it actually worked was also strange to Merida. Not that he couldn't love anyone else, but he was infatuated with Elizabeth and they had never gotten a chance to be with each other long enough to create love between them. As much as Merida believed in myth and legend and fantastical things, love at first sight was something that still needed to be cultivated even if it were true.