05 | trust

Kamaichi, Japan, March 9th 2011

————

I looked at Sylvie, while my head kept searching for good ideas what we could do, we had a bit more than 24 hours left until the apocalypse would start.
And none of us actually wanted to be here then.

There was not really much to do, we couldn't go farther away in fact it would cause a nexus event.
And seeing the TVA and my old colleagues again wasn't really what I was keen on.

"Let's just find a quiet place and talk a little," I decided, knowing this would be the safest thing to do. I really didn't want to risk things.

"Whatever you want." Sylvie answered kindly, giving me a small nod what should signalize me to lead the way. I gave her a noticeable smile once before I stopped looking at her, trying to find a way what would possibly lead us to a good place.

Even if I had no idea where to go, I just begun to walk along the street we were at, to hopefully find a beautiful spot soon.

It was warm, when you considered that it was just the beginning of spring. A cold wind was blowing, it was a good contrast to the temperature.

A few trees were standing on the left side of the street, always with around 3 meters difference from one tree to another.
A few small light green leaves were already blooming, what made it seem lovely, so I thought.

I kept studying my environment, it was quite relaxing because for a moment, I forgot this here would not exist anymore in a few days.

I heard a few footsteps coming closer, and without even checking who it was, I already knew it had to be Sylvie.
As soon as she reached me, she started to match with my walking pace, to not get left behind again.

"Hey," She begun to talk, exchanging eye contact with me.
I noticed right after I looked at her, that she had opened her hair. Her wavy strains slightly moved in the wind, it seemed beautiful to watch.
Things I didn't realize when I first met her, were now even more interesting to discover.

"Missed me?" I asked chucklingly as soon as I stopped admiring the details I saw now, since she was walking right next to me.

"Shut up, I just didn't want to walk alone behind you, that's it." She replied trying to stay serious, even if I could detect the small smile that appeared on her lips.

"Sure," I answered, making it sound like I wouldn't believe her.

She didn't reply anymore. Instead of that, She just shook her head in amusement, with the same smile on her lips.

I looked back at the street and distanced my glance from her, at the same time a small smile was painted on my lips.
The street was quite long, on my left and on my right were houses, in front of them were partly some small gardens, with flowers and plants in it.

We were the only people who walked through this street in this moment, not even a single soul was to see. I'm contrast to the street we came from, there could you barely see where you were.

"I'm bad at this," I heard Sylvie's voice, stopping me from studying our environment any longer.

"Bad at what?" I asked.

"Friendship, trust, I don't know, whatever you want to call this." She answered and turned her head to the side to look into my eyes, searching for eye contact.

I looked back into her eyes for a few seconds, before I opened my mouth to give her a helpful answer.

"Sylvie, friendship isn't something you need to be good at to let it work. If you find the right person, it will happen automatically." I gave her an understanding smile, making it easier for her to feel comfortable.

She nodded, showing me that she understood what I was talking about before.

"But what if I'd stab you in the back? Aren't you scared?" She said hesitatingly, giving me a questioning look.

"I know you're skeptical about this. But I decided to trust you, and so did you the way around." I took a small break to inhale, still straight looking into her eyes, "I'm not scared of you, you're my ally, did you forget?"

I gave her a soft smile, trying my best to give her a secure feeling. The last thing I wanted was to make her feel uncomfortable in my near.

"I guess so." She answered shrugging, without appreciating the smile I gave her.
I guessed she just needed some time to get used to all of this and of course I tried my best to give her all the time she needed.

I didn't respond anymore then, considering it was the best to just give her some time to think about it.

It was strange to know that I barely knew her for a day now, but we already had the pleasure of being allies. She was dangerous, I knew that. Everyone has already told me to stay away from her, in fact she'd betray me.

And now, I was in Japan with her, two days before the apocalypse would start. We walked next to each other like we would know each other for years, without actually knowing where to go.
She gave me a feeling of safety, the opposite of what feeling she should actually give me.

But she made me smile, an expression I didn't have in the past years, months, however long I have been working for the TVA.

"Let's sit down over there," I noticed Sylvie's voice next to me, her arm pointing at a place inside of a small
park what was to see on my right.

She didn't sound angry neither confused.
Everything I noticed was how her insecure feelings got exchanged by her confident attitude she usually had, protecting her insecurities like an armor.

"Sure," I agreed to what she said and looked back at her as soon as I felt her gaze on me, smiling a little. But this time, Sylvie smiled back.

"It's nice to have company, even if it's you," she admitted, having a superior smile on her lips.

"Wasn't that supposed to be a compliment?" I asked her amused, causing her to shrug.
I just took it as one, it was nice to know that she finally saw me as a partner and not as an enemy.

————