iLove Sam

Carly

I will not admit to anything. I will admit to liking (or being in love with) no one. But I will admit what I overheard. 

After my turn at the lie detector test, Spencer said that dad was on land, so I got to talk to him. But he had to go pretty fast. Anyway, after that, I headed back to my room. 

But I heard Freddie reading out Sam's answers. I didn't care about a few, but there were a few that were well...

"The question was 'Did you ever have a slight crush on Carly.' You said No. The detector said...it's a lie." Freddie read. 

"The question was 'do you think Carly is hot?' you said 'a little'. the lie detector detected no lies."

"The question was 'would you hate the idea of kissing Carly.' You said 'I don't care.' The detector detected no lies." 

Sam was silent for a bit. I was in shock. I think she was too. I didn't make a sound as I waited for her or Freddie to speak. I couldn't believe her answers. How accurate is this lie detector thing? How do I know it's not reversed? Well it doesn't matter since I definitely don't love Sam like its making it seem like she loves me. 

I had to walk away...the silence in the room was killing me. I went to go make sandwiches for the 3 of us when they came down. Once I was done, I was waiting happily on the couch watching TV with Spencer, waiting for Sam to come downstairs declaring she was hungry. I kept smiling and laughing, thinking about all of the ways she would say it. Freddie came down, and said he was going to his apartment. 

"Oh. I made sandwiches!" I said jumping out of my seat. I pushed aside all of the thoughts I had racing through my head about what Sam said. Or rather lied about. 

"Thanks Carly. Sam won't come out of your room. I cleaned up the lie detector machine and everything." He said. But he didn't tell me whether to go up or not, but he didn't stop me when I went up. 

I knocked on the door before walking in. Sam was sitting at my bay window, looking out at th city. She had a blanket on her legs and was holding a pillow. 

"Hey Sam." I said as I walked in. She didn't answer. 

"What's wrong?" I asked her. I wasn't expecting a response, but I was wrong. 

"Don't worry about it." She replied. 

"Please?"

"No." 

"Come on, Sam. You're my best friend. You can tell me anything. I won't judge you, I won't tell your secrets are safe with me. I swear. I love you" I blurted. 

"I'm sorry, Carly. It's nothing you can help with." She looked at me, but it wasn't a normal look, more like a far off look. It was also a look that said 'I'm so sorry' and 'help me' at the same time. I didn't know what to think. 

I wanted to know what was bothering her, I wanted to give her a big hug  and tell her 'it's going to be alright' like I did the other night. I wanted to make her sadness go away because this isn't how she acts. I wonder if it was because of the lie detector answers. It definitely is. 

"Sam. I know I told you this already, but uh, thanks so much for helping me today." I started. I'm not sure where this is going to end up. 

"You're very welcome, Carls. It was a piece of cake." She said, staring out the window again. 

"Sam! You're being dramatic. If this about the answers to your lie test, then that's it! You can tell me whatever." I told her, sitting down right next to her. I wanted to be close to her. "You can tell me whatever Sam, because...it's not good to keep things inside. You have to tell someone." 

I paused, slightly, then continued, I put my arm around her.

"I have something I've known for a while Sam. It really hit me hard the night we had the Nerf gun fight. It was bothering me for a while before. I never thought I would tell anyone this, but here I am." 

--------------------------

Sam

Carly had her arm around me as she was talking.  

"I never thought I would tell anyone this, but here I am." said Carly. I leaned my head onto her shoulder. "I..."here it comes..."I love someone, Sam." wow. 

She rested her head on mine. "I love someone. And I probably...shouldn't. But here I am, hopelessly in love with someone." C'mon Carly. Just say it. 

"That person happens to be..." Come on Carly... "It's you, Sam." I sat there for a minute, acting surprised. I then pulled my head away. 

"Me?" I questioned. I didn't make myself sound mad, upset, angry, happy, excited. Well I tried not to. 

"I...I think I love you Sam. I just don't know."She said. She was nervous. Poor kid. 

"Carly. You don't have to be nervous, scared, anything.  I won't tell anyone. I'm not judging you. I don't think of you any differently. It's just out in the open, but between us." I pulled her into a huge hug. "I don't care. I just need a day or two to think, okay? I'm going to head home But listen. If you need anything call me as always. I'm there. See you at school tomorrow. Love you."

And I headed home.