Sapphires and Tiger's Eyes

“You mean you’re leaving?  At a time like this?” Kaya demanded in such a tone that everyone sitting at the Council froze.

Vitalini Gail leaned forward in her chair and placed a firm hand on her friend’s wrist.  She cast a discreet eye at the commanding man at the front of the table and shook her head slightly. 

A strand of blonde hair fell off her shoulder and in a flourish she reattached it to her elaborate bun.  The bun only represented the rest of her intricate costume.  Her average looks were accentuated by sumptuous and beautiful outfits. 

“Yes, Kaya, I’m leaving.” 

Queen Edessa had aged ungracefully in the years following her husband’s death.  Her chestnut hair had become tasteless and was worn away from her face in a plain bun, secured at the base of her short neck. 

Her cheeks had lost its rosy pallor and she had taken to wear constant black, dulling all features almost beyond recognition.

Her hazel eyes bore into her daughter’s blue ones and there seemed to be a quiet, but fierce struggle over power.  It was the younger of the two who won and spoke again. 

“We’re approaching upon Hallows Eve and you’re going to leave us undefended?”  Kaya’s voice was violently calm, such a frightening and powerful paradox that no one seemed to move, for being unmoving in place.  It carried through the library, rustling sheets of parchment and volumes layer on shelves. 

“This kingdom needs a queen, not an absent crown!” 

The others at the table watched the argument like a joust, seeing which would overcome the opponent and deliver the final blow.  They knew better than to interrupt.    

“I am leaving, Kaya Grace, and that is final.  I will return before the moon begins its next cycle.  Until then I expect you can look after your kingdom until my return.” 

Kaya shot her an incredulous look and open her mouth again only to be silenced with a sharp kick in the shins.  Vitalini smiled charmingly at the rest of the Council.  The queen continued with the meeting without further comment.   

Vitalini was recognizing the signs of a bubbling fight coming.  Kaya’s temper was a fiery dancer that could keep dancing until the wrong moments hit and that dancer would spontaneously combust, leaving everyone in a large proximity charred and burned. 

Kaya wasn’t aware of what was said at the meeting after her mother’s abrupt and rather sudden announcement of departure.  Her mind where it was inside its own labyrinth was alone and quiet. 

The twenty one that sat on the Council stood as the queen did and began to file out in a rustle of wooden chairs and parchment.

The library that normally had a warm and secure feeling began to grow colder and colder as the people seemed to suck out the heat with them as they left the room.