„We've found our safe haven, darling."

On a sunny September afternoon, Mulder and William were playing in the garden with a new remote-controlled rocket that the boy had gotten from his three crazy uncles. During this time, Dana Scully was preparing dinner for two of the most important people in her life.

„When I'm an adult, I'll buy a rocket a little bigger than this one and go into space", said the seven-year-old.

Mulder said nothing, just looked at his son smiling with delight as he watched the floating toy.

„Hey boys, dinner's ready!", Scully called.

„Mommy, give us a minute. See how high!", the happy boy shouted.

Dana stood on the porch, wiping her hands on the towel, studying the boys for a moment and delving into her thoughts.

Now she was no longer an FBI agent. Now she was a mom and has a private practice where she saw patients while William was at school. After many years of suffering, effort and searching for something that she never found a specific answer to, she was finally happy. She had everything she needed: a family. Mulder and William were the world to her, and since Fox also abandoned the X-Files and started a new job, Scully felt safe.

„What's for dinner?", William's voice snapped the redhead out of her thoughts.

„Your favourite dish", she stroked her son's head.

„Pasta with spinach? Who's the last one at the table is washing up!", William shouted and disappears inside through the door of the house.

Mulder walked over to his wife and exchanged smiles with her, then kissed her on the forehead.

„Our son said that when he grew up he would fly into space", he said, still smiling.

„Like father, like son", Scully quipped.

„Don't forget you were looking for aliens with me too", Mulder teased her.

The woman gave him an eloquent look and entered the house. After a while, the three of them were sitting at the table and wrapping the pasta on forks.

„Hey Willy. How was your day at school?" Scully asked to break the surrounding silence.

„It was really cool. We talked about the family and some tree, but it was too complicated for me", the boy replied.

„I suppose you're talking about the family tree, sweetie", said Mulder.

„Yes I think so."

William finished his meal and watched his parents as they also finished emptying their plates.

„Actually, where did you two meet?", the seven-year-old suddenly asked.

„Why suddenly such a question?", replied Mulder.

„Homework", said the boy.

Scully looked at Mulder, motioning for him to tell the story of them. She was curious how he would do it and wanted to hear what it looked like from his side.

Mulder cleared his throat and began:

"One day, your mom came to work with me in one of the departments of the FBI office. She was very young, in fact we were both. She had her red hair, and she kept her both feet on the ground. She never let me do something stupid", Mulder stopped abruptly, looking at Scully.

"Your mother was my guardian angel. And she still is.", he finished.

"And you were in love ever since?" William asked curiously.

"We have not been in a relationship for many years. But I knew that the woman who walked through the door to my office that day was the love of my life.", he concluded and looked at Scully, whose eyes were filled with tears, and he squeezed her hand.

William got up from his chair and walked over to his parents embracing them at once.

„I love you", he said.

„We love you, too", Dana said and kissed her son on the forehead. „Go take a bath and go to sleep, honey, because tomorrow I won't be able to wake you up again in the morning.", she smiled.

William said goodnight to his parents and went up the stairs. While Mulder was putting the dishes in the dishwasher, Scully stepped out onto the porch, leaned against the railing, watched the sun go down and breathed in the cool autumn air.

Moments later, she felt a touch on her hips and a warm breath against her neck as Mulder stood behind her and rested his head against her shoulder.

"What are you thinking about?", he almost whispered in her ear.

"About us", she said shortly and turned to face him.

"What about us?"

"About how much our life has changed since we abandoned all the evil we faced all these years. About what we got from fate. We have Each other, we have William. We are happy. For so many years we have sailed in an ocean full of unexpected storms and whirlpools. Until we finally found the right port.", Scully said.

„We've found our safe haven, darling.", replied Mulder.

„Our safe haven", Scully repeated.

„I love you", he gently kissed her cool lips, then looked straight into her blue eyes, which for over 20 years were still the same as then, on the first day he saw her.

„And I love you, too", she replied and hugged him.

--------------------------

Hi, after my spiraling over this family yesterday, i wrote something :)

Please, be kind. This is my first time after the years.

Thank you to my friends - Amez, Val, Kate, Oli and Mar - for support and all the words of love for this chapter <3