man i wish i lived here

chapter 2: man i wish i lived here

the plane ride took four hours. i expected it to be longer, because i live in rhode island. my town is so small, 2000 people, if that. two neighborhoods made up the living area, and most people 16 and over had a job. i got my job last year, shortly after i had turned 15. i work at a Target, mainly in the clothing stock. but that doesnt really matter to anyone...
the flight attendant, a pretty, young, busty blonde named Annette, helped me get out of my seatbelt... i was stuck, okay? she asked where my parents were. i said they were off the plane already. she couldnt know i was alone, that might cause trouble and i cant waste anymore time.
after i left the airport, a cab picked me up and dropped me off around lukes apartment building. australia is so beautiful. the sky is a robins egg blue, rather than a foggy grey like im so used to. the little corner shops and warm atmosphere made me comfortable already. i stopped into a few shops, just to look around. this one vintage clothing store had a gorgeous black dress, with grey lace over it. i realized it was short when i tried it on. it emphasized the slight curves i had and made me feel beautiful. the price was reasonable so why not buy it?
inside a coffee shop were couches and tables. a lot different than the starbucks in my town. i ordered a small coffee (cafe mocha, to be exact) and left. i walked around and soaked up the sun, i knew i wasnt gonna get any back home. man i wished i lived here.
this was such a lovely place. a city named Sydney... i recall of hearing that. i may have known about Sydney, after all it is the capital(right?) but ive been homeschooled since i was 10. i was bullied into anorexia and depression. my mother found out and pulled me out of school. thats when i met luke...
i was out on the streets around noon on a sunny wednesday afternoon. he practically bumped into me! my coffee spilled over my abercrombie shirt that was recently givin as a gift from an aunt for my 14th birthday. luke insisted on giving me his number, so if there was anything he could do to make it up to me, he could. i texted him later that night, and we talked a lot since, though i havent seen him, until now.