Chapter 7

A/N: Thank you so much for your patience. Now that I'm somewhat on a schedule, I plan to update this as frequently as possible.

Characters: Rose, Ayo, Oyibo Okeke, Amina Cole, Isis, Weza, and T'Challa

Words: 1.9k

~~~

November 9, 2016
21:51
My chambers

Dear Diary,

The walls of my bedroom had started closing in on me because of my funk. I laid in bed for days mourning the relationship that could've been, clinging to the hope of things getting better.

The way Dakarai broke off our engagement hurt, not because of the loss, but the lack of respect. Like the coward he was, he didn't give me the common decency to do it in person. Just abandoned and ignored me for months before sending me that sorry card. I must admit though, my hand does feel lighter now it's no longer carrying a cheap three-carat ring, which is an insult considering how much money his family has.

After a few days of locking myself in my chambers, refusing meals and visitors, and playing Mary J. Blige on repeat, I decided to enjoy the fresh Wakandan air. Fortunately, it was time to restock on groceries, so I used the trip to the market as an excuse to leave the palace.

"Is that everything?" Ayo asked while I placed the bags of fruit into our wagon.

T'Challa insisted she accompanies me. Normally I would fuss about him treating me like a child incapable of handling myself, but I'll admit it's nice having someone to grocery shop with, especially when it comes to lugging the many bags.

"Not yet," I answered her. "I have to stop at the meat market to buy sirloin for tonight's supper and T'Challa's spicy sausages." I rolled my eyes playfully. "I've told that man a thousand times about eating those things, but he insists on putting himself in an early grave."

Ayo chuckled. "Sounds just like him."

I told her to go ahead and put the wagon in the van while I take the short walk to Kamau's Meat Market—the backbone of Wakandan society as T'Challa would say. A bell rang, signaling my arrival when I opened the door, and immediately smiled at the guy behind the counter.

Oyibo Okeke, a man that once wanted my heart. We only went on two dates, but they were enough for me to realize there wasn't a connection. He had been working at Kamau's since we were in secondary school, and I heard through market gossip that he was promoted to store manager.

"Rose," he greeted me with a friendly smile. "Good to see you."

"Good to see you too." I returned his smile with one of my own. "The usual please."

"Five pounds of sirloin and one pound of spicy sausage."

"Make it two. You know he'll want me to make another trip for more."

He chuckled. "On it. The goat meat is fresh today if you want any."

"I'll think about it."

"I'm going to cut these sausages for you. Be right back." He winked before walking to the back room.

I looked through the glass at the goat meat, not registering the bell ringing from another customer entering the shop. I didn't realize their presence until the voice, one I haven't heard in three years, addressed me.

"Rose? Rose, is that you?"

Resisting the urge to roll my eyes, I turned and put on a painted grin for Amina Cole. "Hi."

"