01.

"The marks humans leave are too often scars

"The marks humans leave are too often scars."

I remove my grey blanket off of me and stretch. I look over at the clock and find it's 6 am. Macy comes over to me and licks my face, I laugh and she runs out of my room. I yawn, still tired, from yesterday. I sigh and lay back on the bed.

I rub my eyes and turn over on my stomach. I look down over at the small window in my room. I see a moving truck unpacking. I guess I'm getting new neighbors. Nice.

I get out of my bed and walk into the bathroom, switching on the light switch and turning the shower on. I get undress then hop in the shower. Nothing new, I wash my hair and body.

I rinse everything off and get out of the shower. I wrap my towel around me and walked over to the dresser. I pick out a blazer and a skirt. (Image Above) I look in the mirror at my naked body. My hands Rome against my scar that's on my stomach. A tear drops from my eye and I wipe it quickly. Flash backs run through my mind, quickly. As much as I wanted them to go away, they never did.

"You whore." My dad yells at me and grabs a knife. I shake my head.

No

No

No

He lifts me up by my hair and scraps me with a knife.

Distracting myself, I quickly get dressed or I'll be late for work and John won't be happy. I grab my oatmeal that was from last night that I made. I grab my purse and put my Ten-dollar heels I got on sale.

I lock my door and turn around, but I bump into an older lady. "Excuse me, I'm so sorry," I speak quietly.

I flinch when she raises her hand. But she does something I don't expect. She hugs me. "Hi, I'm your new neighbor. My son and my granddaughter live with me, you should come over some time." She smiles and I just nod.

"O-oh okay, maybe someday. I have to get to work." I smile and walk around her.

"Okay, see you later sweetie." She yells out.

I'm still not used to people talking to me in this small town. I run downstairs seeing the elevator crowded. I look at my watch - I'm 10 minutes late, shit. I get into my grey Toyota sedan. I drive to my office job, going through a couple of red lights. He is gonna kill me, I should've called in sick.

I finally make it. I hurry out of my car and run into the building. I pass the reception desk. Maddie rolls her eyes at me, oh that hurts.

I get into the elevator and press the 15th floor. I run out of it once I get to the floor. I  hear him yelling at people already. I walk into his room with the coffee I quickly grabbed while running here.

"You" He screams at me and points a finger at me. Everyone leaves as he slams the glass door shut. The blinds go down so you can't see what's going on in here. He walks over to me and pushes me on the sofa that was behind me. I shut my eyes knowing what's coming next. He slaps me against my face and kicks me in the ribs. I groan, fuck that hurts.

"Next time you're late it will be worse, now get out." He yells. I open my eyes slowly and get off the couch holding my stomach. I open the door and walk out.

I go to the bathroom and go into a stall. I cry quietly. I remember what my parents did to me, it was way worse than this. I open the stall and see people whispering and laughing when they look at me. I look at myself in the mirror, disgusted with myself.

I fix my hair and make-up. I walk out of the bathroom and go to my desk. I sigh once I sit down and bang my head against the desk. I wish I could leave this job, but John threatened me to stay. He said if I left he would be me way worse and tell my future boss I'm a whore and worse.

-

After 9 hours of work, no lunch or break. I grab my stuff and lock everything up. I get in my car and drive off back home. I'm so tired I could fall asleep while driving. I realized I didn't have any dinner, so I stop at the grocery store to get some dinner. I pick out some chicken that's already made.

I get back in my car and drive home. I open my apartment door, drop my purse, take off my shoes, and put the chicken on the table. I go to my room and change into sweatpants.

The walls were so thin, that I could hear my next door neighbors, not my new ones, having sex every night.

I sit down at my table and turn the tv on. I eat the chicken and veggies I made. There is a knock on my door, I groan and get up. When can I have peace. I take the chicken with me. I open the door and find the older lady from today there. "Hello, how can I help you?" I speak eating the chicken.

She laughs "I just wanted to tell you I apologize for what happened this morning." She replies.

"Oh, you're fine," I mumble not use to this.

"I'm Sarah!" She shook my hand as we introduced ourselves.

"Would you like to come over to dinner tomorrow night?" Sarah asked.

"Um, I'm not very used to this, but I'll try to come. I might be busy with work." I mumble. Sarah nods.

"Would six work?" Sarah asked.

"Sure!" Sarah seems nice.

"Perfect, I'll see you tomorrow. Enjoy your night sweetie." Sarah wishes her goodnight and leaves to go back to her apartment next door.