three: safe

Pez

The kids were asleep the entire car ride back.

They were both small enough to lie down with Lauren cradling her brother.

While Mani went to get some necessities for the two, she dropped me off at home to shower and get ready for bed. I was tired and had work in three hours.

The only ones awake were our oldests.

They were all sitting in the living room watching Luca, and our youngest two were fast asleep.

Upon my arrival, they got out of their spots on the couch and ran up to me, giving me both a hug. "Hey, Dad," they greet while hugging my waist. I kiss them both on the top of their heads.

"Hey, loves. What're you doin' up? It's nearly 4am," I whisper. "We got worried and DJ and Richie kept talking about kids in a tunnel," Leigh replies. "What happened? Is everything okay?"

"Did y'all find the kids?" Jade asks afterwards. We break apart and head to the dining room. "We did and come to find out their father did come back, but he was a convicted felon that'll be rotting in a cell for the rest of his life."

Jade hisses, "Lemme guess: predator, possible drug abuser? Something along those lines?" I hum affirmatively. "Found him with a shovel and rope. If we didn't go back, lord knows what would've happened to them," I mumble the last part when I actually think about where they would be right now if we weren't there.

But they're safe now.

"How old are they?" Leigh asks. "I think 4 and 6," I answer.

Some may think it's pretty strange having serious conversations like these with your daughters who aren't even in high school yet.

They're both rather bright for a couple of children.

They can converse like proper adults in certain settings, but remember that they're still kids. One time, I caught them up at around this time researching old, unrelated cases and piecing them together.

Leigh said that they'd do that most nights when they both have trouble sleeping. They thought I'd be mad that they were up so late. But they actually helped solve a few cases and now, the station is like their second home.

The solved a missing persons case and brought the boy back home. Mani and I are beyond proud of them.

"Where are they now?" Jade asks. I scratch the back of my head. "Your mam has them. They're gonna be staying with us," I say. Both stare at me with mildly confused faces.

"Are we fostering them?" I nod with a smile, "Exactly that. They grew onto us rather quickly. The little girl even fell asleep in your mam's lap after being petrified of her. They went from crying when they see a cop to not wanting me to put them down. The little boy even let Uncle Ox hold him after not wanting to be touched."

Leigh hums, "I bet their dad hardly cared for them or would forget they existed. Did they look like they haven't eaten in a while?" I nod, "Skin and bones almost. I think that's what it was; he didn't care for them."

"That's definitely the case. I read once that neglected children would usually be scared of the first contact, but after warming up to you, they'd wanna be under you, constantly," Jade adds then sighs.

"I'm glad you're fostering them."

I smile and kiss both girls on the forehead. "Me, too. Now, let's get these two in bed and then it's off to bed with you two," I say while ushering them to the living room.

———
About an hour later, Mani calls me to tell me she's home and to get the kids.

The sun was rising and the air was a bit muggy, but when is it not?

"Your daughters were wide awake when I got here," I tell her while carefully getting the tiny children out of the back seat. "Are they still awake? Or do they finally know what sleep is?" My wife jokes.

It's ridiculous how small these two are.

They cuddle against me without a problem while I watch my wife grab two Jansport backpacks; one red and the other blue. "What's in there?" I ask while we make our way inside.

"I got them toothbrushes, shoes, a few change of clothes, and a stuffed animal each," she responds, locking the car doors. "Okay. I pulled out the sofa so they have somewhere to sleep," I whisper when Lauren shifts a little. "Have they eaten?"

"Not since we left the station," she answers while we enter the house.

Just then, our second oldest comes out of her room, rubbing her eyes under her glasses. "Jade, why are you still up?" Mani asks her while I set the babies down on the sofa and they cuddle each other almost instantly.

The sight was so adorable that I couldn't help but smile as I cover them with a blanket. I then go in the bags and got out a stuffed otter with a red heart on its chest and a pink, floppy-ear bunny.

I set them carefully into the children's arms before placing habitual kisses on their foreheads.

"I couldn't sleep," she shrugs. "You need to, baby. You start school soon and I don't want you falling asleep in class."

"I know, Ma, but I got worried," she glances at the slumbering children and make a little noise of shock. "They're so small," she says sadly then looks up at us. "Can I stay up in case they wake up? I don't want them to freak out when they see they're alone in a strange place," the 10 year old suggests.

Mani and I exchange glances, but don't answer.

"I can make them something to eat if they're hungry or just keep them company. Please?" She folds her hands together and pouts.

"I don't like the thought of you staying up," her mother starts, looking at me for the final verdict.

"But that does seem necessary, so go on ahead," she smiles and hugs us both.

This isn't the first time we've fostered a child.

Our first child was actually a young man, around 14, that came out as gay to his parents and they kicked him out. He slept in shelters and then got purposely arrested just for a place to sleep and a meal.

Mani, being the wonderful woman she is, bailed him out and offered our home to him.

He stayed with us for only a few months; in that time we helped him with his trauma and showed him love he's been deprived of since he's been kicked out.

Jade and Lee-Lee were pretty young at the time and showed him so much love that he didn't want to leave. They didn't want him to either. They actually cried, but he promised he'd try to visit.

We managed to get in contact with his maternal grandparents and they took him in. Mani did random check ups on the family since we find it strange how accepting they were to their gay grandson when their daughter wasn't.

He's an adult now with a job and a place with his boyfriend the last time she checked with him. I'm glad we saved him or god knows where he'd be.

"Okay, but wake me up if you need to. I'm going to bed," Mani says, kicking off her shoes. Jade sits in my La-Z-Boy closest to the children then turns on the tele.

"Sweet dreams, Ma," she says when the woman kisses her cheek. "With that being said, I need to get ready for work," I say, following my wife into our bedroom.

"What a night," she comments while I get out my uniform. "Yeah. I'm glad I came along. Who knows where those babies would be." She wraps her hair up in a scarf then puts a shower cap on.

"They're safe now and that's all that matters."

———
*This is lowkey one of my favorite hidden gems 😌