Chapter Seven: Fire Drills

The lunchroom wasn't scary to me anymore. Everyone usually kept to their tables and didn't socialize with anyone else in here, which was totally fine with me. There weren't that many people I liked here in this lunch besides Moze, so I didn't care if anyone talked to us or not. It was better that way, anyway. We had time to figure each other out and see if we were still good as friends. And we were.

Moze and I usually ate our lunch in silence before we talked for the rest of the lunch period about everything under the sun. We definitely weren't awkward around each other anymore. Our relationship had gone back to what it was before we realized we had feelings for each other and before we started dating. As much as it pained me to go back to that state, I was still glad that she was in my life.

Setting my backpack down on the table, I turned toward Moze who was already here waiting for me and asked, "What are you getting for lunch today?"

"I honestly have no idea." She laughed while shaking her head. We both began walking toward the lunch line together, and she tried to peer around all of our classmates to see the list of meals for today. "All I know is that I'm starving."

"Same."

Tip #22: Always make sure to eat breakfast in the morning! Even if it's something as small as a donut, you'll be better off. If eating breakfast makes you sick, then drink something so that your stomach won't be empty.

The lunch line moved so slowly today. For some reason, everyone else had gotten here before me, so we had to wait behind them while they figured out what they wanted to eat. The people in front of us were messing around, too, which didn't help our hunger or anger.

"What is taking so long?" Moze hissed to me. She sounded so angry right now. I nearly burst out laughing at how ridiculous she sounded, but she would have killed me if I did that. I stayed silent. "I'm so hungry."

Finally, the line starting moving quicker. Before we knew it, we were getting our food. "Are you better now?" I asked her as I grabbed the peanut butter and jelly sandwich from the lunch lady. "We're getting our food now."

"Much better."

"Good."

Just as I was about to set my sandwich on my tray, a shrill alarm sounded around us. The people around us all jumped; some exclaimed or screamed while others remained silent. 

I pressed my hands against my ears while saying, "What in the world is going on?"

"Fire drill!" Moze answered.

Tip #23: Always be prepared for any sort of drills. You never know when they are going to happen, so be prepared just in case it's the real deal. Just remember one thing - don't freak out.

The teachers who were tasked with watching this lunch period began directing everyone toward the main hallway where we could exit the school in an orderly fashion. However, it wasn't that orderly. Many of the students were running toward the doors and shoving anyone they could out of their way to get outside first. 

Moze and I, on the other hand, did none of the above. We walked like the rest of our classmates in a line and didn't bother worrying about what was happening. However, there was something worrying about what was going on with my hands. One was cool while the other was normal. I glanced down and realized that I was still holding onto my sandwich.

"Moze," I hissed, grabbing onto her arm and tugging her closer to me. She glanced at me with a look of terror that crossed her face. People were crowded around us as we all tried to exit the building, but right in that moment with her gazing into my eyes, it felt like we were the only two people here. However, I shook my head, dispersing those thoughts. I shouldn't have been thinking like that; I needed to let her go. "Moze, I stole this peanut butter and jelly sandwich!"