Pain

Evans POV

They told me earlier that I was to be executed tomorrow. It was all over. I tried to get them to understand that I was no harm to them. They wouldn't accept that. Why would they, they have always had problems with Bloodriver and now we have attacked them unprovoked. I was never even able to give them any information because after the last attack my dad was so busy fucking his whore that he just neglected the pack. I doubt that he knows I am gone. I have no clue what's going on over there now.

I told them all that I could about the witches and the general breakdown of the pack. I don't know much more then that since my father had not been planning anything else while I was there. I offered to become a spy for them but they didn't believe that I would actually do that. I can't blame them. They are convinced I know more then I really do. Now they are tired of trying to get information from me. I am not worth being alive to them.

I feel utterly defeated. My heart broke knowing I would never see Athena again. I lowered my head and accepted my fate. I got to spend a few days with my mate and that was all I was going to get. I was Icarus. I wanted my Athena so bad I flew too close to the sun and now I was going to pay for it. It was worth it though. That short time we had together, getting to know each other, falling in love, making love. It was worth it. I got to experience the true love of my mate and while I am sad I will never see her again I can die happy knowing that I got to meet her.

I hung there chained to wall by silver cuffs. Tears falling from my eyes every once in a while thinking of Athena. The life we could have had. The life we will never have now.

I hear the keys in my cell door. It must be time. I hope they make this quick. The door opens and to my surprise her scent immediately floods my nose.

Athena is here, I smile and immediately lift my head to see the most beautiful site ever.

Wait why is she here. This is not going to be good. She can't see me like this. She can't know who I really am. It will break her to know she fell in love with a Bloodriver wolf and not just any Bloodriver wolf the heir of the Alpha.

I hated that everyone kept referring to me as that. I know technically that it is what I am but I hate that man and if I could kill him myself I would then free the pack my mother included. Most of the wolves in the pack don't want to be there they are just too scared to leave.

Children are taken from their parents at a young age and forced to train to become warriors. She-Wolves are forced to mate with unmated males at 16 until they find their mate. Most of the time the men will reject their mates since they often have pups with others. The whole system is fucked up over there.

Our eyes meet and the bond that was already starting to form snapped into place. Athena looks beautiful in a tight black dress; her hair is straightened and make up done. She is obviously drunk. She must have been at a party. I smile thinking of her being able to be out there living her life. I study her face more. My biggest fear is realized she looks horrified. I bet she can't believe that she is mated to me a Bloodriver wolf. We have talked about mates and she always said she would accept her mate no matter but I don't think she ever thought that would include a Bloodriver wolf. My heart breaks a little.

"Mate" she says.

She makes no move towards me. Sadness in my eyes. I watch her closely as the mate bond consumes her. I prepare for rejection, then my eyes go wide as she falls to the ground screaming. No, the mate bond we have already mated. As the mate bond snaps into place for her she is now feeling what I am feeling. Her body taking on my pain now too. I watch unable to do anything. I start pulling at my chains.

I need to get to her. I think to myself.

Two guards run into the cell; one rushes to help Athena screaming in pain on the floor. The other rushes to me and punches me hard in the gut. Athena screams more with that hit and curls up in the fetal position on the floor.

"What did you do to her" he screams at me and punches me in the face.

"Stop. I'm her mate you are hurting her." I growled.

Hunters POV

I was woke up to one of the guards mind linking me.

Alpha you need to come to the solitary cells. Athena is here at the Bloodriver cell. We have a problem. She is his mate and can feel his pain now.

I jump out of bed and mind link the pack doctor to head to the cells. Stacy jumps up as well.

"What's wrong? What's going on?" panic is in her voice.

"Athena is the Bloodriver heirs mate. She is in the cell now and can feel what he is feeling. I have to go" I say.

"I'm coming with" Stacy says and quickly throws on some jeans and a shirt.

When we get to the cells it's chaos.

Evan is snapping and snarling. Athena is on the ground screaming in pain. One guard is trying to calm Athena the other is trying to quiet Evan but there is nothing he can do. Right now, he can't use force because that will hurt Athena.

"QUIET" I yell in my Alpha tone.

Everyone in the room stops what they are doing and I take control of the room.

Athena's POV

"Mate" I say. Realization hits me Evan is my mate. The man I have grown to love and he is the Bloodriver heir. Shock and horror take over as I realize I am staring at my mate bloodied and bruised chained in a cell. He has been tortured for a week. The man I love down here being tortured by my brother and his beta. The mate bond snaps in place and at first all I can feel is love. It was euphoric, then in a split-second pain. The pain of his broken bones, gashes made from the silver whip, the wolfsbane coursing through his blood. I fall to the floor screaming. It's too much. I can't take it.

Two guards rush into the cell.

"Athena are you ok?" he asks grabbing my shoulder. "What did he do to you?"

The other guard runs over to Evan and starts attacking him. More pain, I can feel each hit.

"Stop" Evan roars. That is all I can hear through the pain.

Whatever he says makes the guard stop. He is mind linking someone probably my brother.

Within seconds my brother, Stacy, and the pack doctor are in the cell.

Stacy and the doctor rush to my side. Stacy tries to comfort me.

"Shh, it will be alright the doctor is here now" she coos into my ear.

"Stacy, I can't it hurts so much" I say through my tears desperately trying to grab at her to make the pain stop.

"QUIET" my brother yells and the room becomes silent except for my tears.

Evan looks very pained right now not being able to comfort me. The guards back away from him.

"Make it stop" I scream through tears.

The doctor pokes me with a needle and I let the blackness consume me.