one

first person pov!

"AND HAVE A NICE NIGHT," heather told her last customer, obvious sarcasm planted deep in her voice, if the middle finger to the woman's back wasn't enough

i was at b. dalton's, helping re-shelf.

earlier, my friend and i had came in to shop but we'd gotten into an argument about her moving to the rich side of state. and unfortunately, my anger got the best of me and i slapped her in the face.

my friend, sam, had (in shock) walked backwards, knocking off at least 200 books from their shelves and onto the cruddy carpet.

long story short, we agreed that since it was technically my fault, i should be the one to pick them all up.

sam had gone home around a half hour ago but i'm still stuck here because heather, a girl from school and the cashier at b. dalton's, refuses to help me.

luckily, i am almost done. no thanks to heather... or sam.

as i put the last few books back on to their specific shelves, the work phone rang. i decided to just slip out so that heather could deal with that alone for obvious reasons, so i grabbed my wallet-purse off the coat rack and went to leave the mall.

but was stopped, of course.

"hey an, could you walk me home, again?" heather stopped me, the ringing phone just barely muffling her voice, "i'm afraid i'll die or some shit."

"can't. i've got to run down the block to the general store and wait for my mom. i'm not allowed here... remember?" it was true. i wasn't trying to avoid heather or anything, i just simply am not allowed at the shadyside mall. 

i could've easily invited heather to go home with my mom and i since heather's my neighbor and all. one of the many neighbors that my mom forbids me to hang out out with. heather's 'reason' was her job at the mall.

"shit, okay. i'll see if ryan can drive me."

"bye heather, don't die 'or some shit'" i softly laughed, walking backwards, sticking my middle finger up at her— a kind gesture.

i flipped around and saw ryan torres, some weird kid that just graduated from my school. he clutched a blown up naked woman as he walked around the food court.

i decided it'd be best to avoid him... just like everyone used to do before he (somehow) graduated, and not ask about the rubber lady; it was super sketchy.

in suspicion, i began to speed walk out of the mall and through the employee's exit that i've been snuck in and out through dozens of times. i grabbed my skateboard off of the side of the graffitied brick wall and glided towards the crappy shadyside general store.