Fatherhood

Fatherhood. The definition to this term is quite simple, the state of being a father. Fatherhood is something that can be planned or be a surprise. It can be a curse or a pleasant gift. It's definitely something that JSchlatt was not expecting or wanted so early on in his life. It all happened one drunk night a little over five years ago at some sort of party that JSchlatt barely remembers. It's really just a huge blur to him if he were to even try and attempt to remember it. When you're drunk almost every day on the hour the days just start to fade together and you really can't remember what you did only a few days ago not to even mention five years ago from now. It was a problem yes but Schlatt would never and will never admit to it, leaving his drinking problem unfixed and only getting worse at the young age of twenty five.

For gods sake he can't even remember what his son's mother looks like. Not even the slightest bit. All he remembers is that his five year old son Tubbo, who at that time of all this was only three and a half years old, was left at his doorstep in a cardboard box with a note saying that he was his son and now his responsibility now along with some important documents like his name, age and birth date, etc. What a crazy woman thinking he of all people can raise a child on his own when he can barely care for himself if at all. Then a again, he couldn't be all to mad at her about it. She didn't want child support for the years she did have him in his care and even if she did it's not like he had the money to actually give.

He wasn't upset with Tubbo about it though. How could he? It is nowhere near the kid's fault for the actions of his parents. In fact JSchlatt loved the boy more then life itself and does anything to keep him happy. The kid made his life a lot brighter even if it was just a smile from his mini-me. Gave life a bit more of an actual meaning to it, you know?

And so here he was now, sitting on the sofa in his under furniture-ized living room with his legs up and resting on the coffee table. He had a newly opened bottle of beer sitting on the table next to his legs as well. At this point, it was normal to see a bottle next to or at least near him at all times now-a-days. He was currently reading the day's news to keep up on any drama or any catastrophic issues that might've happened as of lately while Tubbo was playing on the living room floor, so Schlatt could keep an eye on him whiled he played with an old hand me down toy that was gifted to him for his birthday by his dad. The toy wasn't Schlatt's old toy but he found it at a thrift store that was within his weekly budget. Even though money was tight he tried to spoil the kid the best he could.

While he wasn't paying attention to the boy, Tubbo stood up from his seat on the floor with the old toy in hand and walked over to him. He walked to the walking path in between the couch and the table before stopping and tilting his head with a flicking of his ear out of curiosity. He glanced over to his father before reaching and grabbing the bottle he wasn't allowed to touch and brought it to his nose to get a sniff, immediately scrunching his face in disgust.

Schlatt looked over and finally took notice to the boy before almost immediately sitting up in his seat, placing the newspaper down, and took the bottle out of his hands, "Tubbo, what did I say about touching my beer? You know better then that bud."

He looked up to his dad and frowned with a sigh, glancing away, "I know, I'm sorry Dad. I just wanted to see what it smells like."

"It doesn't smell nice, I'm sure you know that now," the older said as he placed the bottle back down on the wooden table before reaching over and picking up his son, sitting him down next to himself.

Tubbo nods and scrunched up his nose again as if to emphasize the nasty smell, "Yeah, it smells yucky. Does it taste yucky as well?"

"Yeah it's yucky," Schlatt agreed, wrapping an arm around him as he picked up the newspaper again, "I don't want you to ever try it, understood?"

"Understood!" The five year old chimed with a little salute as his small goat tail wiggled happily.

Schlatt chuckled as the boys enthusiasm before picking him up again and moving him to his lap, setting down the newspaper again as he hugged him close to his chest. His tail wiggling as well.

"Hey Dad?" The boy called for his attention, looking up at him and resting the back of his head to his father's chest.

"Hey Tubbo," he responds playfully in the same tone as Tubbo with a light smile before continuing, "Yes bud?"

He smiles up at him before asking, "If your beer smells and tastes yucky then why do you drink it so much?"

Schlatt paused at the question, the smile fading into a straight and serious face. His ear flicked slightly as he thought of a response before deciding on the best one for now.

"You'll understand once you're older. Until then just don't go near my beer, okay bud?" He said, glancing down at him as he waited for his okay.

He nods and smiles up to him before promising, "Okay Dad, I promise I won't ever go near it."

Schlatt smiled and hugged the boy tight, "Good, don't break that promise ever. I love you very much Tubbo."

"I love you too Dad."