Chapter 2: Welcome Back, Michael

The phone in Michael's hotel room rang. When he picked it up, Henry was on the other side.

"How was the week-long training course?", asked Henry enthusiastically.

Michael replied, "It was alright. Not much to go over. You sound much better than before."

"Yeah!", Henry laughed, "The wife is great, as always. Do you remember the plan?"

"Find out how to put Elizabeth back together, then do so. Then quit the job and leave with my sister."

"You're focused! That's good. Good luck, Afton Jr.", Henry said as he hung up the phone.

Michael put on his uniform and walked down the street as he passed a row of houses. Many of the people there were Afton Robotics employees and waved to him as he passed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When he got to the building, Liara was waiting for him in the lobby.

"Heya Afton Jr!", Liara said with a smile, "Ready for your first day?"

Michael fake-laughed and said, "Yeah sure, Liara."

"Just  use your ID card to access the elevator and you'll be on your way!", Liara explained, "The normal entrance isn't working, so you'll have to use the crawlspace. Good luck!"

Michael shook her hand and opened the elevator doors. The doors creaked open slowly and the elevator looked much older than the building even. He swallowed his fear and got into the elevator.

An energetic but monotone voice came over the speakers in the elevator to introduce itself, "I will be your personal guide to help you get started. I'm a model 5 of the Handyman's Robotics and Unit Repair System. But, you can call me 'Hand-Unit'."

Hand-Unit then gestured for Michael to enter his name on the pad, but as Liara said, it was glitchy and kept jumping around. 

"It seems that you had some trouble with the keypad. I see what you were trying to type, and I will auto-correct it for you. Welcome: Eggs Benedict", said Hand-Unit matter-of-factly before retracting back into the wall.

Michael shook his head, "What computer thinks that someone would be named 'Eggs Benedict'?" The annoying Hand-Unit prompted him to open the elevator and continue through the vent duct, as Liara said. It continued to speak in a dull tone about the history of Circus Baby's Pizza World and the rental service.

Once he got to the next room, Hand-Unit made him perform check-ups on the ballerina, Ballora, and the recolored foxy, Funtime Foxy. After that, Hand-Unit led him through another vent shaft to Circus Baby's gallery.

Michael breathed in deeply and said out loud, "This is it. I can do this and get out of here in one day."

Hand-Unit explained, "Looks like a few of the lights are out, but we can fix that later. Let's encourage Baby to cheer up with a controlled shock."

Michael didn't really want to shock his 'sister' but he followed the instructions. After 3 attempts at getting her to respond, she never showed up but Hand-Unit took no notice and instructed Michael to return home for the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...and she never showed her face", Michael explained the first night on the job to Henry.

Henry sulked, "Well that sucks. But I'm pretty sure that she might probably show her face tomorrow? I don't know. Have hope, Afton Jr."

"But what if she doesn't?", Michael asked, "I can't find out where my dad is if I don't do this."