8. Memories

I wake up not knowing how much time has gone by. I look around and see that I'm being wheeled down a hallway. I look on the other side and see that my dad is walking with us, him holding my hand. 

We slowed down to a door and Kristin stopped to talk to my dad. "I'm sorry, but this is as far as you can go. We'll have a nurse show you her new room and then you can wait in there or in the waiting room. Either way every 20 minutes or so I or someone else on my team will update you." 

"Alright." He turned to look at me.

"I love you so much Kaia. I'll be in your room when you get back ok? Keep fighting."

and with that, one of the nurses opened the door and walked until I was wheeled into what I guess was the operating room. They switched me to the little table that was there and then some of them left.

Kristin was the first to come back. I grabbed her arm and looked at her

"What if I don't wake up?"

"You'll be okay Kaia. I promise. This surgery has a high survival rate."

The anesthesiologist walked up and put a different mask on me.

"alright now, count down from ten for me.

"okay" I said, shakily

"ten"

"nine"

"eight" 

"seve-"

🕸️🕸️🕸️

Flashback

"Kaia honey! Where are you?" My mother shouts.

I am hiding, but I'm not sure why. Were we playing hide and seek? 

No, the stakes seem a little too high for that. I focus on my breathing, and notice my heart is beating really fast. 

 I look around at my surroundings. just shelves filled with towels. I'm hiding in a closet.

"Kaiaaa" my mother sings

"My patience is wearing thin, if you come out now I promise you won't have to do it again" 

What is she even talking about? I don't remember anything like this in the time I was with mom

I open the door and peek out.

I recognize the old apartment mom and I used to live in back when I lived just outside Malibu.

I walk down the hallway and into the living room where my mom happens to be, looking in the toy box. A place I would hide often in hide and seek. 

She turns around, and spots me. 

"There you are! I thought I was going to have to tear this place apart to find you!" she said.

As she walks over to me, I feel myself backing up until I hit something and trip. 

"Come now, we don't have much time." She said as she picked me up.

"No!" I hear myself shout. 

My mom walks over to the front door and begins heading downstairs to get to our car. She straps me in my carseat. 

As she begins driving I notice after looking out the window that we're going fast, too fast. 

"Mom?" I question

"What honey?"

"Where are we going?" I ask. The road we're on doesn't look familiar at all to me.