Too Good to be True, Nothin' Better than You

After dinner, Momma and Brinleigh headed out onto the porch with mugs of hot chocolate and blankets while Chad, Casey, and I were doing the dishes. I was washing, Chad was rinsing, and Casey was drying and putting away. When we were kids, we all hated to get put on dish duty as punishment. But what mom didn’t know now was that Chad, Casey, and I didn't mind it one bit. Mainly because it gave us a chance to talk and be candid with one another. It was more of a chance for us to be able to spend some time with one another. 
          Our topic of conversation could range from anything from the weather to life choices. As I was washing the roaster pan, Chad turned to me and asked if he could ask me a question. 

“Yeah man. You know you can ask me anything.” 

“When are you going to make an honest woman out of Brinleigh?” Asked Chad.

“To be honest, we haven't really talked about that being something that she wanted. Hell, I don't even know if that's what I want.” I said as I passed him the now clean roaster pan. 

“Can you picture another man being in your kids’ life? Because that is what will end up happening man. If you don't marry her, someone else will. She's not going to wait around for you to grow a set of balls forever.” said Chad. 

          Fuck! I hadn't thought about it like that. I knew I loved it. I love her more than I've ever loved anyone in my life. She’s made me feel things I haven't felt before. But marriage? Am I ready for that? Is she ready for that? 

“Shut up man. I have balls. Balls that are in good working order to be exact. The fact she's pregnant is proof of that.” I said as I lightly punched him in the shoulder.

“Then man up man. Worst thing she can say is no. And you know Momma would be over the moon. Plus there's that whole baby-out-of-wedlock thing.” said Casey, as he placed the glasses in the cabinet.  

“And what if she says no?” I asked quietly, my vulnerability showing. 

“But what if she says yes?” asked Chad. “Look man, been living with you two for what 4 months now? I see the way you two look at each other like there's no one else in the room but you two. I see the way that you two care about each other. Ask her man.”

“I need a ring before I can do that.” I said, toying with the idea. 

          I knew the guys were right. Getting married was the right thing to do considering her situation. But then again, it wasn't 1950 anymore. People had babies all the time with people they were married two. But the truth of the matter was, the more I thought about the possibility of her becoming my wife, the more the thought excited me and the more I realized that yes, I did want to marry her. I couldn't see myself feeling the things I do with her with anyone else. 

“Well, we're here for a few days. What do you say that you, Casey, and I all head into charlotte tomorrow and see what we can find.” said Chad. 

“Dude… with what money?” I asked.

“It's called credit Chase. When your signing bonus hits and you can actually get out on tour, the money will be rolling in.” said Chad. 

“Fine! But we're going to have to tell Brinleigh something because she’s going to want to come.” I said. 

“How about we tell Momma and then Momma will keep her busy. I'm sure she would love to start planning a baby shower that whatever it is that these women want when they get knocked up.” said Casey, laughing. 

   🏁🏁🏁🏁🏁🏁

          The next morning, I woke to the smell of bacon frying and biscuits baking. Rolling to my side, I noticed that Brinleigh was still asleep. She needed to rest because in my opinion, she had been doing more than I thought she should. She wouldn't admit it, but I could see that she was purely exhausted.
          Easing out of the bed so that I didn't wake her, I slipped on my boxers and basketball shorts before going to brush my teeth. Once that was done, I went downstairs and found Momma in the kitchen. Going straight for the coffee pot, I fixed me a mug before walking over to the stove and placing a kiss on her cheek. 

“Good Morning, Momma.” I said as I reached for a slice of bacon for the plate on the stove. I was rewarded with a smack on the hand.

“Morin’ sugah.” Momma said. “Is Brinleigh still sleeping?”

“Yes ma’am. She’s exhausted Momma. But the stubborn woman won't slow down. She insists on going to all my meetings with me when she's allowed to come.” I explained, sipping my coffee and having a seat at the bar. 

“I'm sure she is baby. It takes a lot out of a woman to grow a child. And well, she's growing two of them.” said Momma.

“I know. I just wish that I could convince her to get some rest. I love the fact that she wants to be there for me but I just want to make sure she’s taking care of herself.” I said. 

“Then you know what you gotta do Chase.” said Momma and she turned to face me, leaning over the bar. “You need to marry her.”

“Momma, just because a piece of paper says that we are married doesn't mean that I have any ownership over her. I can't make her do anything that she doesn't want to do.” I said, exasperated. Sometimes traditions and views for days gone by really irked me. Things aren't like they were in the 1950’s. They aren't like they were when Momma and Daddy got married. 

“I know that. But its symbolism.” said Momma. “Listen to me son, last night while Brinleigh and I were on the porch and you boys were on dish duty, she told me some of her family stuff. That girl has not had it easy. She needs to know that she has a family backing her and there for her when she feels like she has no one. I love her like she's my daughter and I know you love her. So what's holding you back?”

“Nothing actually. Chad, Casey, and I are all heading into town later today to see if I can find her a ring.” I said quietly, just in case Brinleigh had woken up. 

“That's awesome honey. I’m so happy for you.” said Momma. I didn't miss the tears in her eyes. 

“Yeah. But I don't have a whole hell of a lot of money. So she won't get the ring she deserves.” I said sullenly. I really wished that I could give her the one she deserved and not just what I could afford.

“How about I loan you some cash. I have some stowed away for a rainy day. I know that you will pay me back just as soon as you can but son, it's really no rush.” said Momma.

“Momma, I can't ask you to do that.” I said. 

“You didn't ask, baby. I'm offering. She's the mother of my grandchildren. Let me help y'all.” said Momma.

“Okay, but I swear I'm paying you back.” I said pointing my finger at her. 

“I know, baby. I know.” said Momma, smirking at me before turning back to the stove to watch the bacon.