2021/07/09 #2 - Saving my Death

359 Words in 15 Minutes

--||--

The dark-robed figure stared down at the young woman. "You know, people are usually afraid of death."

"I'm not."

It seemed amused. "You're going to die."

"We all are and I'm not afraid of that, I'm just saving it for a rainy day."

Their skull almost seemed to smirk. "Like today?"

"Nah, it's misty, not rainy." The young woman smirked back.

A scythe seemed to materialize out of the cloak, shadows and smoke holding it together as screams of tormented souls trapped in eternal limbo echoed around the pair.

The woman raised an eyebrow. "Is that supposed to impress me? I could do more damage with a butter knife than a will'o's farts like you have."

Death seemed to scowl at her words.

"Oh please, you must need some kind of entertainment, you can't just take souls all the time."

"I don't. I actually play poker with the other Afterlife Deities on wednesdays. One of us is always on call though, we rotate the job." He paused. "You shouldn't distract me."

She shrugged. "You definitely have a hell of a poker face. I wouldn't want to play against you. But I'd be willing to, for my life. And then I'll let you take me, if I let my guard down on a rainy day."

It hummed and hrrmed, thinking for a few minutes before finally agreeing."

--||--

"And that's how I got to this point. An old crone, inches from croaking like a frog and avoiding as much falling water as I can."

A young lady laughed softly. "Oh can it, grandma, you've been drinking too much ale."

"If you say so." She smiled knowingly, a figure watching from the window. She raised her cards and glass to the entity before chugging it like water. "Anyone up for another round of poker?"

"Grandma! I told you not to teach that to the kids!"

"Too late for that!" She laughed animatedly, almost too energetically for her age.

Death wandered away again, almost smiling, their skull partially crumbling. Almost time... They had a soft spot for that woman and had added to the deal, her choice of course. They'd find eternal rest.

I feel like the ending was a bit wonky but perhaps I'll add to or edit it later.