𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐒

━━━━・❪ ↯ ❫ ・━━━━

   CHILDREN HAVE a strong sense of curiosity

It's why parents watched them like a hawk, made sure they didn't eat things they were not supposed to, and followed them around when they wandered off.

But some parents forget to do that.

It's how Astrid Rose Freegan; age 6, became a nightmare.

Living in Beacon Hills Reserve meant that parents had to pay extra attention to their curious children. Make sure they don't fall down a hill or fall into a river and drown.

But her parents, Bianca and Gideon Freegan, didn't pay extra attention. They got distracted by Teddy, Astrid's baby brother who took all their attention by speaking his first words.

Like all children, Astrid naturally got curious about a strange humming sound coming from deep in the reserve. She tried to tell her parents but they seemed too busy with getting Teddy to speak again, so she went to explore the humming.

Astrid strayed too far from her house, following the humming that echoed louder the more she walked away. Till the sound came to a sudden halt and she stood to her lonesome, gazing around. Her blue eyes stopped at the sight of a large tree stump.

Astrid strode to it, placing her small hands on the large stump and the humming sounded again causing a bright smile and precious giggle to escape her mouth.

And then the ground from underneath her gave out.

When she finally woke up it was nightfall. She had a cut on her leg and a wound on the back of her head, blood escaping at a steady rate.

The humming was loud, so loud, it caused a whimper to escape her and she was about to cover her ears till she heard a whisper.

Enchantress.

It echoed through her head. She got up and stalked to the end of the cave-like bunker. There, a small statue — that she thought was a doll— sat in the rubble. Golden ash and small dead fireflies around it.

As she stroked the doll, a loud car door slam scared her into dropping it. It shattered on impact and black smoke engulfed around the room.

And in front of her was a lookalike to herself. Only with glowing yellow eyes, chains, tattoos, and ancient clothing.

Astrid let out a scream and the lookalike turned into yellow smoke and shot into her mouth. Her spine bent backward and snapped, her mouth hung open, eyes rolling to the back of her head and it looked as if Astrid was having a seizure.

When an officer found her unconscious in the woods next to the stump— hole nowhere to be found— dried blood on her body, she immediately called Astrid's parents, who were searching the area.