Chapter 5

The pic at the top is also completely unrelated, but everyone likes a nice pin so why not?

Oh, and Percy of the pin, it's dam smoothie, not damn smoothie.

———

KATIE POV

"You looked pretty close to Travis today at swordplay." Miranda told me at lunch.

"Yeah, because we're friends." I repeated for what seemed like the fiftieth time.

"You sure you're not a bit more than that?" She asked me again.

"No." I assured her. "I do not like him."

"The pink rising in your cheeks says otherwise."

I glared at her.

"Just saying." She mumbled, grinning brightly.

"But even if I did, he doesn't like me back." I argued. "So there's really no point in it anyway."

"OH MY GODS SHE ADMITTED IT!" Miranda squealed.

"I didn't." I defended myself. "It was only a hypothesis."

"Uh huh." Miranda teased. "And I'm supposed to believe that."

The truth was... I didn't even know.

Did I like Travis? As in, like like him?

I think I did.

But even if it were like that, we weren't meant to be. I knew that much. We were much better off as friends than as... well, something else.

So there wasn't really much to do about it, except enjoy our friendship. And I was planning to do that.

Lunch ended after a while and Miranda left the pavilion with one of our siblings, leaving me alone.

As I walked towards the Cabins for the two-hour break, I nearly jumped out of my shin when someone pushed a piece of paper into my hand.

I looked up. It was Travis. His blue eyes grinned mischievously and he was smirking like he usually did before a prank.

"Read this when you're alone." He winked before jogging towards the Cabins.

I watched him leave and then I left the jumbled mass of Campers returning to their Cabins and walked in the other direction, until I was on my own.

I opened the folded up piece of paper and I saw Travis's scribbly handwriting.

Meet me behind the arena right now.
You're pranking Connor with me.
So he can pay for forcing us to spar together this morning.
-Travis

I chuckled and decided I'd give it a try. Why not? It wasn't a crime to prank Travis's annoying brother.

I subtly made my way to the arena and found Travis standing behind it.

"What's that?" I asked him, pointing to the bag in his hand.

"Green spray paint." He answered, grinning. "Now, Connor has used purple one on me last week. I needed to get my revenge."

"And what is my part in it all?" I asked.

"You have to distract him." He told me.

"Yeah, so you can just spray paint me too." I scoffed.

"Just stay away from him and you'll be fine!" He reassured me.

"I'm still not convinced." I said, shaking my head. "But tell me the rest of your plan."