Jack Lotus Chapter 3

I woke up in the sunny room with the smell of mushroom omelets and orange juice with tea next to me. I ate it because I had no choice, and if he was going to kill me he would have by now, and not put me on his chest. I ate it all.

Lotus told me we could not leave yet because of my Scrute wound. Then when I wondered?

So I spent the rest of the day inside while he "checked the perimeter" or cleaned his horse stable chores. I put together a pack for the trip and cleaned the inside of his house for him a bit. I did the dishes and dusted, carefully. He seemed lightly upset by not much. For me, not having to work with people put me at ease. Being a barista sucked save the tips.

It felt good to make his house shine and all its artifacts stand out. Ever careful not to move things, I then practiced my stretches for yoga and then late afternoon rolled around. Better than working a shift, I felt free afterwards, but not a normal free.

Straightaway, I found him coming in the house from the storage room with a white cotton robe he thrust at me. Lotus stated, "I have questions to ask you now about my good friend Olly."
I funnily chuckled, "Go for it freak."
Lotus smiled when I said that as if he expected it any day now to pop out of my mouth.
Lotus asked, "Who is your brother to you?"
I replied, "Oleander. Oleander once and now he calls himself Olly because that was his way of telling my parents to fuck off. He hated our parents for making me the 2nd breadwinner and he could do anything he wanted as the favorite child. You know Lotus, you have striking eyes."
Lotus glanced at me replying, " All of you is striking. You have a beautiful face and pretty smile. And your body isn't too bad on the eyes. So what did they do to you Calantha?"
I hesitated looking at him. Then I opened up, "They treated me like a bank and him like a son. I really like your eyes. Heterochromia is cool. They are so truthful...So full of love once."
Lotus' brow deepened near threateningly asked, "What do you see in me Calantha?"

"You are very handsome as well, but it's your eyes that reveal the truth. What do I see? I see pain. I wish I could show you the world still holds you and that no one forgot you, but time forgets everyone, including my brother. I found out you were married and divorced as I suspected. That you used to be a one term mayor of Evergreen once. That's fucked up. I found this out from cleaning your house. There are over a million people there and girls swooned over you, the most insane man I ever met." I offered in opinion.

Lotus was either green or red. Lotus pointedly glowered, "That was my personal life. What personal sentiments do you have to that?"

"I think you need love. No one wants to love someone who is screwed up except other screw ups. You need to get real. Oleander has to be alive. If anyone can't feel love, then what's the point in living? Only Oleander loves me." This has been another one of Cala's drunk thoughts. Why does booze make me say anything to this weird stranger? Jesus Cala!!! But yet Lotus answered as he would in his way:

"I have never felt love except from my wife. Then she pushed me away in hate. Women. All the same." Lotus growled the last part.

"She pushed your pain away and felt free. She always will love you. Are you going to kill me or help me? I am so unsure of you..." I looked down. What was it with him? I told him, "You kill me, you have killed my brother." A tear slid down my face.

Lotus rushed over with a pill and made me take it. "Where was this yesterday?" I asked.

In a monotone voice he addressed, "It's a painkiller I remembered I put in storage. I couldn't kill you Calantha by letting you find him alone. Jesus. This is going to hurt worse than last night. You are real and although I avoid the real, I like your style. I will draw a bath for you to do the second step and sanitize the Scrute site and I will have to clean the barbs out." Lotus ran the water in the large bathroom while he waited in the kitchen.