Rachel

• Dedicated to Anna Saporito

          Rachel knew it was her last summer here.  Here where the waves crashed against the soft white sand.  Rachel knew that she only had a very few short months left here in Florida.

          She would miss all of her friends and most importantly her boyfriend Jay.  Rachel had long flowing blonde hair with beautiful blue eyes.  She stood about 5 foot nine and weighed around 118 pounds.  Jay on the other hand had short black hair with grey eyes that glistened in the moonlight.  He stood about six foot two and weighed around 156 pounds.  Both of them were the skinniest of their grade.

                One thing Rachel knew she wouldn't miss was the bullying.  Everyday Rachel would be called names and once a girl threatened her life.  Rachel wanted to be a huge star one day and simply shrug off the bullying although inside she was falling apart.

                Rachel sat down on the sandy beach and watched as the setting sun disappeared under the waves.  Rachel felt her phone vibrate in her pocket.  She got out her phone to find it was a text message from Jay.  Hey babe meet me at the freeze, luv ya, the text message read.  Rachel loved The Freeze.  The Freeze was an ice cream parlor that was the usual hang out for teens on Friday nights.  Rachel ran to her Mustang Convertible, an early birthday present from her dad, and started the engine.  She pulled out of the parking lot nearly running over a young couple.

                As soon as Rachel pulled into The Freeze's parking lot she recognized her boyfriend's yellow Lamborghini.  She pulled her car in right next to his and hopped out running into The Freeze.  She opened the doors and immediately saw Jay's midnight black hair. Jay was sitting at their favorite spot in the corner.  Rachel walked over and sat beside him giving him a hug and a tender kiss.

                "Hey, I see you got my text," Jay said softly.

                "Yeah, I was just down at the beach, thinking," Rachel replied snuggling into his warn embrace.

                "What were you thinking about?" Jay asked.

                "Well I know I haven't told you this but I have to move away, far away," Rachel said her eyes tearing up.

                "Why?" Jay replied in a dumbfounded tone.

                "My dad says I should probably go stay with my mom for a few years, since I have stayed with him since they've separated," Rachel replied now starting to cry.

                "Do you know where to?" Jay asked quietly.

                "California," replied Rachel "stupid California."

                "I'll promise to visit," Jay replied trying to cheer Rachel up.

                "It won't work, this summer has to be the best of my life," Rachel replied now starting to sob.

                "It will be," Jay replied "I promise. Why don't I order some milkshakes to lighten the mood?"

"Strawberry, please," said Rachel finally letting go of Jay.

                "Be right back," Jay said as he walked up to the counter.  Reality finally had hit her, she was moving and there was no way to stop that.  She had to accept that fact and move on with life even though she knew she couldn't.  She not only had to do it for herself but also for her mom, her inconsiderate, ignorant, unbelievable mother, the one that left her and her dad when she was just a baby.  The thought made her break into tears again. 

                "Here's one strawberry milkshake to my amazing girlfriend," Jay said handing her a straw and her milkshake.

                "You know, babe, you make me feel great inside," Rachel said taking a sip of strawberry sweetness.

                "Well it's the least I can do," Jay replied.

                "I was talking to the milkshake," Rachel said in a serious tone then she broke out into laughter "no not really I love you!"

                "I love you too," Jay replied leaning over to kiss Rachel. Rachel then realized that she would miss Jay's tender kisses. Then the unbelievable happened. The glass doors to The Freeze busted and two hooded men came crashing through.

                "Everyone on the ground," one said in a demanding tone holding a gun up. Rachel and Jay jumped under the table that they were sitting at.  The two men had black coats on with ski masks covering their faces. Then they dropped their guns and pulled out something else. To Rachel it looked like just regular sticks.

                "What the hell are you going to do with freaking sticks?" A cocky young teenager asked sarcastically.

                "Avada Kedavra," one of the hooded men screamed.  A bright light shot from the end of the stick sending the teen boy flying back into one of the slushie machines sending blue slushie flying everywhere. The boy didn't get up. He was dead.

                "Give us the girl, and no one else will get hurt," the other hooded man said looking disgustedly at the dead body. No one moved. The hooded man walked over to Rachel and Jay's table.

                "Get away from her," Jay said angrily.

                "You did see what happened to your friend over there didn't you? We certainly wouldn't want that to happen to you, would we?" The hooded man said slightly hissing. The hooded man bent down and grabbed Rachel by her hair dragging her from underneath the table.

                "Let her go," Jay screamed, getting up from under the table.

"Crucio," the other hooded man screamed pointing his stick at Jay. Jay doubled over screaming in agony. The man put his stick down and Jay fell silent. He lay out of breath silently on the floor.

                "Jay," Rachel said tears streaming down her face.

                "Now girl come with us and no one else will get hurt, as you may have seen we're much more powerful than your wimpy human race," The hooded man whispered in Rachel's ear.

                "But you are human," Rachel replied.

                "That's where you're wrong, girl, we're wizards, and you're a witch," The hooded man said as he pulled Rachel out of the broken glass. She looked back as her boyfriend, Jay, lay lifelessly on the floor of The Freeze.