Ch 2: You came like a dream (2)

“Ah, why didn’t I tell Mary about this?”*

(T/N: She’s talking to the cat.)

Me-ow.

“Oh, Mary’s the only one who cares about me in this mansion. She’s so nice, she sometimes gives out food.”

Of course she does...*

(TL/N: ‘퍽이나’ is used as a hint of sarcasm; so the cat is being sarcastic here.)

Unaware of the cat’s innermost thoughts, the girl carefully chose her words.

“Actually, do I remember my mom very well?”

Rather than the Countess taking Lloyd’s side, she really envied Lloyd and the woman walking together.

Because he’s with his mom.

He lives with his mom.

Maybe Mary, the Count, the Countess, and their son couldn’t even imagine, but Ronell remembered her mother clearly. Her gentle embrace as she sang a soft lullaby every time she tossed and turned late at night.

As if so, the cat stirred its tail gently. Somehow comforted by its rather bland look, Ronell grinned, forgetting to burst into tears.

“...Thank you, really.”

The weight and warmth that touched her knees tickled her mind. The cat’s blue eyes glanced at her, then it began to purr primly.

Maybe it’s an illusion. But I feel really warm all over.

Happier because it wasn’t cold, Ronell hugged the cat tightly. She touched its long, pretty fur, scratched the back of its ears, and put her cheek against its elegant body.

The darkness deepened through the sound of grasshoppers. The shadow of the garden outside the window fell from place to place along with the wind.

It was really cold.

Obviously it was, but it wasn’t cold anymore.

It looked like she was completely asleep when it heard the sound of the girl’s soft breathing. The cat, who hadn’t been moving and pretended to be asleep, slowly opened its eyes.

Ruby, a white cat with the richest man in the Empire, Reinhardt Duncan, as its butler, was accustomed to a luxurious bed.

This wasn’t its favorite pristine white goose down cushion*. This was in a dusty shed, right next to a scrawny girl.

(T/N: Here’s what it looks like.)

Hmm

Hmm. Ruby curled its tail. As it casted a magic to block the wind and even some magic to warm her feet, the girl’s wrinkled forehead gradually unfolded. Its blue eyes carefully scanned her pale, little face.