Chapter 3

October, 1984

Four years had passed since that terrible eventful day. John and Andy both had a full recovery and had suffered no lasting damage. Nick was not so lucky; he had taken the full impact of the electrical surge, killing him instantly.

None of the friends ever got over what happened to Nick, especially Zee. John, Andy and Simon decided to carry on the band in his memory as Duran Duran was his baby.

The decision did not please Zee, who felt like everyone was getting on with life as if nothing happened. It took some time for the young Martian to get used to the idea of Jessica taking over Nick's role as the keyboardist.

By 1981, both bands had made it big time. The groups still remained the closest of friends but were rivals in the pop charts, and soon they were about to face their fears...

Duran Duran and Zee And The Astros had just finished the last night of a joint tour. As Zee walked off stage, one of the roadies informed them that a gift was left for them in the dressing room.

Zee headed in with Louise and Jessica to find a beautiful bouquet of flowers addressed to them and signed David Sylvian.

"They are beautiful, wonder who sent them." Jessica swooned.

"I wish he hadn't wasted money on these," Zee replied.

"It has been four years, Zee. You ought to get out there again. You deserve another shot at love."

"I know, but I only have, well, had, eyes for Nicky."

Louise picked them up and examined the tag. "Crikey, they're from David Sylvian!" Louise exclaimed.

"Since when were you and Sylvian so friendly! You know Nick idolised him," Jessica added then stopped short, realising that just made the blow worse. "Oh, I'm sorry Zee...I wasn't thinking..."

Zee's eyes welled with tears. They couldn't deny that there was a resemblance between David and Nick that made him appealing.

But it would almost make it feel like a replacement, and that Nick could never be replaced in their eyes. "We aren't dating, so don't get any ideas. We are just good friends, but nothing else."

"Come on, Zee. I know it's hard, but you have to move on at some point," Jessica said.

Louise agreed with her friend. "She is right. You can't keep David hanging like that. He clearly has feelings for you. I mean, dating someone else doesn't betray Nick's memory. He would be happy that it is David Sylvian."

"Look, there is no moving on from Nick. His band will never be the same without him, and neither will I. This is my decision. Now can we just drop it? " Zee snapped.

The girls did as Zee wished and left them alone.

"I feel stupid now for bringing up all that stuff," Jessica sighed, a sense of guilt washing over her. Louise didn't know what to do anymore. "I get that Zee is still in love with him, but let's face facts. Nick isn't coming back..."

"Everything okay there?" John asked as he and the other Durans appeared from behind.

The girls shook their heads. "Sylvian sent Zee a bunch of flowers, and let's just say they aren't taking it so well," Jessica said.

At the mention of David, John remembered how he and Nick had been first in line to grab copies of Quiet Life as soon as it came out. He wiped a tear from his eye. "David's a good guy. He deserves a chance."

Since the day of the funeral, even the Duran boys noticed things weren't right with Zee as well as the Astros, and if anyone dared asked Zee if something was wrong,

they would either erupt into a fiery rage or keep insisting they were just tired after the shows. But the Duran boys suspected it was deeper seeded than that.

Zee overheard the group talking outside the dressing room about the after tour party. They moved closer towards the door that was opened ajar, eavesdropping on what was being spoken about.

"Oh shit, I completely forgot I had invited David Sylvian to the party. Was that a bad move?"

"Oh God," Jessica groaned. "Johnny, you know Zee won't go if David shows up."

Andy raised his brow. "Zee never goes to any of the after-parties anyways. So don't hold back anything changing."

"Zee's being a bit insensible, don't you think? I mean, Nicholas was my best friend since childhood! But I'm not going to let that prevent me from ever having friends again."

Angered and upset at everyone's comments, Zee bust out from behind the door. "How dare you! All of you standing around talking about me as if I wasn't here and about my future."

Everyone darted around to see the angry young Martian. "Do me a favour and stay out of my fucking life!"

"Wait, Zee! Zee, come back! I didn't mean it..." John called after them.

But it was too late. Zee had stormed right out of the building.

"Great Nigel, just great," Andy said sarcastically. John shot a glare in his fellow bandmate's direction. "It's not my fault!"

"That's enough you two," Jessica snapped at them like they were two young petulant kids as she took out her phone.

"Who are you calling?" Louise questioned.

"Someone who can talk some sense into Zee."

John simply walked away in a foul mood followed by Andy. Simon and Roger appeared wiping the sweat from their faces and gulping down some water. "Did we miss something?" Simon asked.

"Long story," Louise said. "Come on, we better get ready for this party." She and others left.