Nightmare

,,Mum! You can't just leave us like that!"

I tried to reach for her. But every time I tried she left us a little more.

I tried to help her get better, I really did. But I was just a kid... what could I do? I knew I couldn't help her. But I tried.

I tried to give my best so that my younger siblings could live like there was nothing wrong. It wasn't enough... it never was. They knew there was something going on and they tried to make it easier for me so that I could help our mother and wouldn't have to worry about them.

But I knew I couldn't do anything to help her. Not even the other grownups she was friends with did anything to help.

We were just kids. We just wanted a happy life with our parents.

I still feel guilty 'cause I stopped trying one day. I just thought there was nothing I could do. Now when I look back at these days, weeks, months or years - i don't even know anymore - I think: maybe, just maybe, there could have been something I could have done. And maybe, if I did, she would still be here, with us.

Sometimes, when I wake up, I keep my eyes closed and think: it's just been a long, terrible nightmare and when I open my eyes everything will be just fine.

And I open my eyes. I see my room, walls covered with my paintings. My room. In my fathers house.

And theres this small picture of my mother, my siblings and me, on a beautiful beach, underneath the words "we'll meet in our dreams."

And my mother? Shes not there. She'll never again be. Cause it's not just a nightmare. Its reality.