Beauty and the Mirror

Authors Note: This is the beggining of a new book I'm working on. Strictly first draft I would love oppinions on the style of writing, the characters and if it's a good story idea? But I don't need grammar help, as I'll get to that stuff when I edit! :)

When a mirror stops reflecting what a human should see, and starts revealing what is actually and truly there, that’s when all hell breaks loose. And the world as you know it begins to crumble.

Our story begins on Cambridge hill in a little mansion that over looks the tiny town of Sicilly.

The richest family in the community lived in this mansion, With the exception of the summer months where they went and spent some time abroad. For the most part they were nice people, well to be quite correct they were nice if you were rich enough to be nice to.

It wasn’t there fault that most people were beneath them. They were descended from a queen of England, and only similar blood was to be tolerated. Everyone else was just a waste of space.

“Merilee come look at what father and I got for your birthday.”

“In a minute mother, I’m not quite myself, until after I’ve had my sheets properly turned down. Quick snap to it Rosa. You don’t want to keep father and mother waiting all day do you?”

That’s Merilee. Some might think she’s what started this whole mess, but I’m afraid it’s something much more sinister then a spoiled 10 year old.

“Rosa if you don’t hurry I’ll have you scrubbing pots and pans on your knees for months.”

“I’m finished mistress.”

Merilee peaked at the bed with a critical eye. “You missed a wrinkle.”

Quick as a flash Rosa’s hand smoothed over the tiny ruffle. “Is it satisfactory now?”

“Nothing should ever be done to a satisfactory level. I swear Rosa, I don’t know how you have managed to keep your job here for this long at all. But never mind that now, let’s go see what lame gifts they have to present me with this year. It better be a pony. I’ve only asked for one for two days now!”

Rosa followed quietly behind her mistress. Merilee had been in her care ever since she was born. She tried not to take anything that Merilee said to heart, but she knew if she were to ever have a little girl of her own that she would wish her daughter to show more humility and kindness to everyone.

“There you are Merilee, what has restrained you for so long?” He picked up his daughter and spun her around. Most little girls would have been laughing and giggling at that moment, but not Merilee, she was to grown up for that.

“It was that dumb servant of mine.”

“Honey, Rosa is not dumb.” Her mother smiled pleasantly at Rosa.

“Still, she had no right to keep you so long.” Mr. Cunningham said furrowing his brow seriously. “We’ll need to have a talk about this later Rosa.”

 “Not today Steven, it’s Merilee’s birthday. Couldn’t we just let it slide for one day at the very least?” Mrs. Cunningham’s voice was very soft and frail, she gave Rosa another of her exceptionally warm and pleasant smiles.

Merilee just rolled her eyes.

“Yes of course, we will not mention it again.” Steven Cunningham agreed.

“Where is my cake?” Merilee cut in with impatience.

“Sounds like someone’s getting hungry. Ah you are going to love the cake your mom and I picked out for you this year.” Steven put his little girl down and led her into the kitchen.