Chapter 25

Heather's P.O.V

I stared at the darkness that was surrounding me, I had lost all hope of trying to get out of this place. Katlyn and I wanted to escape so we planned and tried everything we could but there was always a flaw in our plans or something that made it impossible for us to go through with what we wanted to do. For two weeks now we have been trying to get out of this wretched place but all to no avail. The food tasted more and more disgusting with each passing day, and the redolence from the decomposing bodies kept suffocating me. No one deserved to ever pass through such torment, no one.

I glanced at the door which was illuminating a bit of light in its edges. A week ago I would look at that light and see a ray of hope, it was like a light at the end of the tunnel, I couldn't reach it because of the chains that held me in place. It was so near, yet so far. Katlyn was singing in a low voice and I turned my head in her direction, I couldn't see her but I could hear her. I smiled remembering Raven, they were very similar, she was full of life and optimism. The memory of Raven brought tears to my eyes, she died a year ago but it still felt like yesterday, maybe if she was here then she would have figured something out. "Hey Heather, what's wrong? why are you crying?" Katlyn asked.

"Nothing is wrong Katlyn, I just miss someone." I told her, "who?" she urged. "My best friend Raven," I said. "Was she captured together with you and your boyfriend?" She questioned.

"No Katlyn, Raven passed away a year ago," I said with a broken heart.

"Oh my God Heather am so sorry, what was she like?"

I let out a light chuckle at her question. "I don't even know how to start describing her. Raven was everything, she was my everything, she had this happy aura and beautiful personality, she brought joy to whoever was around her and she was unnaturally kind like a heaven saint. She was also very sarcastic and did not care about what people thought, she stood for the truth and had empathy. It was always Raven, Liam, and I. I cherished those two and still do. Raven was always my safe place, she was always there for me, sometimes I feel like Raven was just an angel that came to guide us and show us the way, she was never meant for this cruel world, she was too good for this world." I said with a shaky voice.

"Raven sounds like a pleasant person, I would have loved to meet her," she replied in a tender voice. "Am so sorry she passed away, it seems nice to have someone love you like that."

"Yes am sorry too, but she'll forever live in my heart. Don't you have friends or family? I don't remember you mentioning anyone." I asked her.

"I grew up on the streets, my mother abandoned me when I was a baby and left me to die but luckily some beggers rescued me and kept me for a few years until I was fit enough to wander the world alone. I don't have anyone, am alone Heather but that is not a bad thing, am used to it." Katlyn explained and my heartfelt heavy again. "That's really sad" I responded not knowing what to say. "How did you end up here?" I asked once again.

"There was this old man who used to help me a lot, he had an ice cream track written Pett, he was a really nice and caring man and he loved me very much, like a father. One day I went to see him and found that he was being attacked by some men. I tried to call for help but no one came, so I decided to fight them off myself, turns out the man was a werewolf and those people used to hunt for supernatural creatures. I got captured in the process and the man was killed in his attempt to protect me, that's how I found myself here with the others who are now dead."

"Oh no! I knew that man, Liam always got Raven and I ice cream from his truck, it was the best. What are these people up to?"

"I don't know but I don't want to stay and find out, this is the reason we need to leave this place," she said. "But we've tried everything!" I practically screamed at Katlyn. "Heather I have just remembered something, every time that lady doctor or Dante comes to torture us, they always say, we will die down here. That means we are underground right?." she said sharply. "I don't see how that information will be of any help Katlyn plus saying down here doesn't necessarily mean that we are underground. We could anywhere," I answered in frustration.

"My point is, the water we drink is obviously from a sewer system and that means it's possible there is a tunnel just below where we are. We just have to find a loose enough part in the wall of this place, I've been on the streets all my life and I've lived in abandoned houses, I know what am talking about," she continued. I was now focused and interested in what she was saying. "But if we needed to start looking for a loose part in the wall then we need to somehow free ourselves from these chains," I added.

"This room is filled with dead bodies and skeletons, we can look for some human fingers and use them as keys, the way you would use a hair clip," she proposed and my eyes widened. "Am not going to touch a dead body of a person that I do not know, it's bad enough that I am inhaling the smell of decomposing bodies!" I responded.

"Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures, Heather Walies," is her only response before she started searching.

****

We were successful in opening the locks that held our chains but we would lock them back whenever they came to beat us up or feed us their horrible mash. Luck was on our side and we were able to find the loose part of the wall in two days, we spent two more days and nights searching and we finally found a way out. We had to wait for a few more days to execute a good escape plan that did not end up with us being caught then later beheaded.

There was a tunnel for the sewage system that was connected to every part of this underground structure. The plan was to leave tomorrow at night because the doctor never stayed the night and the guards including Dante were heavy drinkers. Katlyn and I pretended to be weak every time they came to check up on us so they thought that we had only a few days until we died like everyone else in here. They never paid us much attention like before and that was our advantage.

Today is the day that we have been waiting for, I had lost all hope of ever seeing the outside world ever again but we had a chance to leave this horrible place and I just prayed that nothing would go wrong. 

We heard noises from outside the door and quickly rushed to our chains and locked them, soon the door opened revealing Dante and the doctor. They walked to us with looks of disgust on their faces. "You have survived longer than I thought miss Heather," she moved to Katlyn and pulled her by the hair while she examined her eyes. When she was done, she proceeded to me and did the same but a gasp escaped her mouth after a few seconds of looking into my eyes. "You are pregnant!" she barked. "Am not pregnant," I answered with wide eyes. "Oh come on am a doctor!"

She looked at me for a long time and asked if I had been experiencing anything that was out of the ordinary. I did not want to acknowledge her question but I also wanted to be sure if she was telling the truth, there was no point in her lying to me after all. "I have been vomiting since I came, I feel fatigued and sickened. I assumed it was because of this hell hole." After saying that, I soon realized that the doctor was right. All that time I thought it was just because of the unhealthy living conditions in this place but I was actually pregnant!

"Tomorrow kill them both, we can't let that monster baby be born," the doctor ordered Dante. I stared at her as she left the room. more determined than ever to escape her bondage. I had more reasons to live now, little Liam was growing inside me and I couldn't help but be happy.

"You didn't tell me that you were pregnant," Katlyn demanded, sounding upset. "That's because I just found out," I told her.