Chapter 18

Pain. There was only pain. Waves of it. Trying to open his eyes, he struggled up right with a groan. Nausea joined the pain. Stumbling to his feet, he took a step only to hear a clinking. He ignored it. Everything was about to come up. Two faltering steps toward the bathroom and Max was yanked around by his arm. Off balance, he fell hard and vomited on the floor.  The impact reverberated painfully through his head leaving him gasping in tears.

"Oh dear. You really aren't handling this well. Perhaps I hit you a bit hard. Guess it's water under the bridge now though."

It took a moment for Max to realize someone was speaking much less speaking to him. "Wh-what?" A whispered groan.

"You'll be just fine soon enough. Hmmm... you'll need to clean that up. Disgusting. "

"S-stina?"

"Yes, Max?"

"What happened?" He looked at his hands. "Handcuff? Chain? I-" Nothing made sense through the haze of pain.

"I think I gave you a concussion with that log. You'll learn your place, dear boy. All in time. All in time."

Max put his face in his hands, hissed and dropped them. Gently, he touched the right side of his face with his finger tips. He realized he couldn't see out of his right eye. It was swollen shut. Scabs along his cheek bone and bruises. Bruises up and down the whole right side of his face.

He felt hands shoving him into the easy chair. A wet cloth swiped at his face just brought a fresh burst of pain. "Take these." A clinical voice. Two pills pushed against his battered lips. A swallow of water to choke them down. A coughing spree that made him groan.

"You're going to be useless for a day or two. Damn." Was the last thing Max heard.

~♡~♡~♡~

I feel like the biggest meanie on the planet. Sorry, Max. 😔