Chapter 22

The next day was not pleasant. Even though he had saved half his food and water, it wasn't enough. Definitely not enough water. Max's mouth felt like he had been sucking on loose sand.

Stina had ignored him all day as she went back and forth unloading her clothes, books and other random items. So much for her fear of driving the mountain's switchback roads. Max rolled his eyes mostly at himself. He had fallen hook, line and sinker for her bullshit.

Apparently,  the bucket was included in the day's lack of services and Max took a great deal of satisfaction in knowing the whole cabin was stinking. A touch of risk-free revenge.

It was early evening when the  smell of her cooking  made his stomach grumble. He vainly tried to suppress the sound. She smiled as she sat down across from him carefully out of reach.

"Hello, Max. How are you today?" And she took a bite of something that looked as delicious as it smelt. Her smile was viciously serene.

Max didn't answer. He just watched her fork as it went in a stately rhythm from the plate to her mouth. "Shall we take tomorrow's meals and water as well?"

His vision jerked to her face. She meant it. "I'm... I'm fine. How are you?" he answered.
He wasn't sure what else to say.

"I have had an excellent day. Getting things accomplished is a good feeling. Don't you agree, Max?" Her tone was casual as if this was just regular dinner conversation. He watched her take the next bite.

An eyebrow went up. "Max?" A warning tone.

"Yes, it is a good feeling. What were you doing?" If she could act normal, he'd give it a go.

"I got everything loaded up that I wanted to keep. Clothing mostly. My teacup of course! Some books I've been meaning to read. I even got everything put away." She paused and drank from a water glass on her tray. The water was cold enough for condensation to trickle delicately down the glass. Max licked his lips with a dry tongue.

"So refreshing. Having a good well is a blessing." The smile was cruelly bland. The arched eyebrow again. She expected an answer. Max wanted to strangle her.

"It is."

"It is what, Max?" The arched eyebrow.

Max looked at her eyes. They were hard, flat, vicious. She would try to utterly break him. Time to pick his battles.

"It is, ma'am?" He thought making it a question was a nice touch. He was hoping she would give him water if he was 'good'.

"Nicely done, Max. Keep up the good work. You'll be doing just fine in no time." Another swallow of the cold water and a sigh. "Delightful in this warm weather."

By the time Stina was done with her dinner, Max had been watching her eat and drink for over an hour. He was hungry but it was nothing compared to his thirst.

"You did very well during dinner, Max. You may push the bucket to me. I don't want your... your odors in my home any longer." A wrinkled nose.

"Thank you." His tone spoke of appreciation but, all the while, he was smirking on the inside.  Carefully, he pushed the bucket as far as he could. She picked it up with obvious distaste and left.

"Good behavior is rewarded. Poor behavior is punished. Do you understand that now, Max?" Stina placed the newly cleaned bucket on the floor and pushed it towards him.

"Yes, ma'am." The words were contrite. His voice somewhat strained from his dry mouth.

"I want to make sure you understand. Tonight's thirst will make the water taste that much sweeter tomorrow."