Her voice

Cheryl woke up without knowing why, but for once it wasn't because of a nightmare, so she stayed still and hoped to go back to sleep. Then she heard a soft and warm voice whistling behind her and she remembered she wasn't alone. Toni had been staying with her every night since she kicked her mother out of Thistlehouse and tonight hadn't been the exception.

She thought her heart would explode when she felt Toni play with her hair and heard the whistling turn into soft singing.

'Our lives are stories,

waiting to be told

In search of silver linings,

we discovered gold

And judgment taught us that our hearts were wrong'

Something clenched painfully inside Cheryl's chest, but Toni lightly kissed the top of her head and resumed her singing with a prideful tone.

'But they're the ones that we'll look down upon'

Cheryl fought a smile and kept listening.

'The rules say our emotions don't comply,

But we'll defy the rules until we die'

Another charged pause in which Toni sneaked another kiss forehead kiss.

'So let's be sinners to be saints,

and let's be winners by mistake'

This time the pause was longer and Cheryl thought about stopping pretending to be asleep and asking Toni to continue when she felt her start humming and playing with her hair again.

'The world may disapprove

but my world is only you.

And if we're sinners then it feels like heaven to me.'

Cheryl struggled to keep her breathing even because the raw warmth and love practically dripping from Toni's voice was unmistakable. She felt tears gather in her eyes at the thought that someone, that Toni, cared so much about her.

'You showed me feelings I've never felt before

We're making enemies, knocking on the devil's door.

But how can you expect me not to eat,

When the forbidden fruit tastes so sweet?'

Toni sounded very amused and could barely finish singing the last line before she chuckled. Cheryl wondered what the pink-haired girl was thinking about when she heard her sweetly whisper right on her ear "And my beautiful Cherry is the sweetest of them all" followed by a light kiss on the shell of her ear. She barely suppressed a content sigh and kept blushing.

'So let's be sinners to be saints,

and let's be winners by mistake.

The world may disapprove,

but my world is only you.

And if we're sinners then it feels like heaven to me.'

Toni's voice cracked and Cheryl suddenly felt something warm fall on her forehead, right under where Toni was half-sitting and half-hovering over her as she did every time she woke up first. It startled Cheryl when she realized Toni must be crying but before she could turn around or sit up she felt the tear on her head being wiped away and heard Toni start singing again, so she decided to wait and act depending on what Toni did after.

'Our hearts are too ruthless to break,

let's start fires for heavens sake.

Our hearts are too ruthless to break,