Letter from the Past

[AN: ItalicBold: Contents of the letter]

March 2016

Ping!

[ oikawa.tooru.handsome@ymail.com ]

A letter from March 15, 2013. Into the future (now the present) through Futureme.org by littlegiantshoyo@ymail.com

Oikawa was out on his morning jog when he received a notification on his high school email. He hasn't used this email since the address was so embarrassing, but he kept it logged in because his friends from Seijoh contact him there every once in a while. But this mail was strange - it wasn't from any of his high school friends; moreover, a letter from three years ago? Why would someone send out an email that will arrive three years later? And who would be crazy enough to do that? The curiosity was killing him, so he decided to rest from his jog to read the email.

A letter from March 15, 2013.

The following is an email from the past, composed on March 15, 2013. It is being delivered from the past through Futureme.org by littlegiantshoyo@ymail.com.

Dear Future Oikawa-san,

Surprise! It's me, Hinata Shoyo!! From Karasuno High School!! Are you shocked right now? "A letter from the past? How?" Right? Hehe.

Oikawa could not believe his eyes as he read that first sentence.

Hinata Shoyo? That Chibi-chan who ended my high school volleyball career? What could he possibly want from me that he would intentionally send an email that is three years late? Pfft-

Oikawa can't help but burst into laughter. Passersby were looking at him funny, but he didn't care. "As always, he's so full of surprises! Even now, he's still amusing me," Oikawa thought as he wiped away his tears. He waited for his laughter to die out to continue reading the letter from the past.

Anyway, Grand King! I heard you're going somewhere far away? They say it's on the other side of the world! I'm not sure where, but apparently you plan on continuing your volleyball career there? Why! I wanted to play against you a bit more...

But! You're going there to become stronger, right? Even though you're so amazing already. In that, I get you! I also can't stand losing to Bakageyama, so I'm rooting for you! Even so, I won't lose to you the next time we battle it out, okay!

He smiled as he read that last sentence. A soft, with just a hint of bitter, kind of smile. "Me too, Chibi-chan. That's exactly why I'm here right now," Oikawa thought as he chuckled before continuing to read. Hinata still hasn't stated why he wrote this letter. And, as if reading his mind, the next lines of the letter revealed the future letter's intention:

Hold on, that's not the only reason why I am writing this letter. Oikawa-san, do you still remember the day we first met? It was Karasuno and Seijoh's first practice match together, but you arrived at our match point. At first, I thought you were SUPER scary because you're The King's senpai, which made you The GRAND King! But, honestly, when you hit that powerful serve, I thought you were really cool. When I scored that last point and met your eyes, I felt chills run down my spine! Didn't you? Then, right after the match, as you were standing outside your school's gate looking intimidating, and as I was hiding behind a senpai, you praised me! You, the Grand King, said that I, a shorty with too much energy, was amazing.

The first practice match, huh? Sure enough, I also remember that day as if it were yesterday. It was a chilling first encounter, indeed. But why is Chibi-chan retelling this day?