Bitchcraft

Adelaide Chalmers was quite simply, a witch. She'd always know, ever since she was five years old and could hear her teachers thinking about how unpleasant all of the other pupils were. She used to giggle at what they'd mentally say but then stop cautiously when they'd all glare at her as if she was insane. Adelaide often thought she was insane, what if all the voices she was hearing were just figments of her imagination?  What if she was just another  schizophrenic maniac? She'd never even considered such a place as Miss Robichaux's Academy For Exceptional Young Ladies, let alone think she'd ever be able to live there.

It was a warm, mid-July day when Myrtle Snow traveled to Brownsville, Texas  to collect 15 year old Addy Chalmers. It was unlike any case she'd ever come across: Adelaide was an introvert- quiet, shy and far too often the victim of hate from other teens. She followed her usual manner of ignoring their laughs and comments, she continued to turn the other cheek and just let their words bounce off of her. It wasn't her fault, she couldn't help hearing other peoples thoughts. 'I bet her mom killed herself just to get away from that ugly face.'  The girl didn't even have chance to say the words that would bring around her gruesome  demise. Addy turned swiftly, and with a piercing shriek, threw out her hand and flung the snarky girl into a set of lockers with unseen force. She could hear the screams of pain as she concentrated her power- The girl, Maggie, was pinned against the lockers, blood pouring out of her orifices and mysterious liquid trickling out of her ears. The liquid was eventually identified as cerebral-spinal fluid- otherwise known as 'brain juice.' Maggie's body was found slumped against the lockers, stone dead. There had been witnesses, but Addy didn't hang around long enough for people to arrest her. She'd ran home, which is where she met Myrtle Snow, head of the witches council. Everybody in the town had already heard of what had happened, including her father. Addy's mother had been a witch, but she was depressed, convinced that eventually all witches would become extinct; tragically, it was these beliefs that lead to hear taking her own life. Myrtle had explained to Addy's dad, Michael, about their coven and what they would do for Addy. Naturally he signed a contract handing her into Cordelia Foxx's care and allowed her to walk out the door and onto a train heading straight to New Orleans.