Chapter 3: Wilhelm

It was times like these when I missed Erik the most, the times when I needed advice from someone I trusted. Erik was the one person in my life I could talk to about anything, until Simon, and right now I need help. I'm sitting on the windowsill in my room, breeze coming in through the open window as I look out at the dark campus, fingers tapping on my bent knee.

Today sucked, simple as that. It started with the stupid biology group project announcement and ended with having to eat dinner with August, who is only here for his final semester thanks to my own mother paying his tuition. My hands clench into fists at the thought of my mother helping August, and I've barely spoken to her since I hung up the phone right before break. The fact that August got away with ruining everything with no repercussions is beyond frustrating. My phone buzzes, startling me from my swirling thoughts, a text from Felice popping up on my lock screen.

Hey. Have you talked to August, yet?

No. I saw him at dinner but didn't talk to him. Why?

He just came over to apologize for kissing Sara. But I think he's just trying to save face since he knows we all hate him. He might be coming your way next. Just a heads up.

What? I made it pretty clear to him that I don't ever want to talk to him again.

Wanna meet in the courtyard? We can go for a walk and avoid that scum.

Yeah. Meet you in 5.

With that, I grab my coat and scarf and head down to the courtyard where Felice is already waiting for me. As we meander along the path, Felice tells me about how August just showed up at their dorm, saying how he spent all of winter break thinking about what he had done, and that he was truly sorry. August explained that he's been under a lot of stress with his family and finances. It takes a lot of effort on my part to not roll my eyes, and based on Felice's skeptical tone, she does not believe the apology is sincere either.

"Hey," Felice says after several moments of silence. "What are you thinking? About August?"

"I don't know. I'm still too angry with him to even think about talking to him, let alone forgiving him." We keep walking for a bit before I continue. "If he comes to me with an apology, I suppose I'll hear him out. Doesn't mean I have to do anything about it."

"Exactly," Felice responds. "It's up to you. I just want you to know that you have people here you CAN trust, who will be your friends no matter what. Okay?"

I glance at Felice but quickly look away as I don't know how to respond to that. The last person I trusted at this school betrayed me terribly.

"Wilhelm," Felice says as she grabs my arm and pulls us to a stop, turning us so we are facing each other. "I understand why you might have a hard time believing this, but I will always be there for you. You deserve to be happy and have true friends even if you are the Crown Prince. Also, it would be nice to have a close friend who understands the pressure my parents put on me. Stella and Sara just don't quite get it, you know?"

I take a second to let what Felice said settle in my head. "Yeah, I get it. Thanks, Felice."