Chapter 4: Walls Aren't Warm

I stare at the lock for a while before snapping out of my daze. Well. This sucks. I'm locked in a room, and I just practically got kidnapped by an alpha, who is my mate.

Why couldn't I get a normal wolf for a mate? Woe is me.

My wolf, Zella sends out angry thoughts. Why couldn't you have just listened, Caroline? Now he's gone!

What? I snap. It not my fault he kidnapped me!

Zella ignores me and retreats. I take the time to study Ian's room. Its red, black and gray, really masculine. I grin evilly as I spot a window curtain.

Stalking over to it, I yank on the bottom. Crap. Its locked. Mmmmm......there has to be another way......

There are no other windows in the room. I huff as I flop on my back onto Ian's bed. Its fluffy and I bounce a few times after I land.

Light bulb! I remember the crime shows that I watched. Air ducts. Searching the bottom of the walls I soon find the air duct.

Pop. The cover pops off with a small tug. Its about a foot wide and a foot and a half long. Perfect for me to squeeze through.

I hide the cover underneath Ian's bed and then squeeze into the small hole.

Using my knees and my elbows, I slowly slide through the vents. I stop once I hear voices.

"Yeah. Did you hear? Apparently Alpha Ian's found his mate." I look down through a grate and see two males, standing in a hallway.

The shorter one speaks next, "That's good; we can finally have a Luna."

No, your not going to have a Luna. I keep going.

Creak.....creak. Snap. Too late. Unable to stop myself, I plummet down to the ground, pieces of the air vent coming down with me.

"Oomph." I groan and sit up. I have to keep going. Jumping to my feet, I bolt through a doorway, just to collide with a wall. Wait.....this isn't a wall. Walls aren't warm.

I open my eyes, to find myself face to face with a muscled chest. Geez.....those are nice...I'm in a trance staring at the muscles.

"Mmmm-mmmm." The person who the muscles belongs to clears his throat, pulling me from my muscle day dream.

"Um........I'll just be going now," I turn to bolt in the other direction. I don't get very far.

Strong, muscled arms wrap around my chest. "I don't think so."

I squirm, attempting to kick him. It doesn't work. Soon I'm huffing for air. "Let me go! You have no right to do this!"

He sets me down, turning me towards him. His brows are furrowed. "Who are you? Where did you come from?"

"My name is Caroline, and I came from Ian's room," I answer him crossing my arms. Under my breath I add, "Which I was trapped in."

The guy's brows furrow even further as he processes what I just said to him. "Your the Lun------" I cut him off.

"No, I am not the Luna, and I did not enjoy being kidnapped and brought here! So if you'll excuse me, I'll be going home now!"

The guy makes a move to grab me, and I turn, slapping him hard in the face.

He stops, stunned, before he growls loudly. Stepping forward threateningly, "I am the beta of this pack and I-------"

"And she is the Luna-to-be." Oh, crap. Now I have a beta and a possessive alpha on my hands. How much worse can it get?

The guys eyes darken. "Alpha she slapped me!"

Ian sighed. "Yes, I saw it. And a fine slap it was. Now, Shane, if you will please excuse us......"

Shane cast me an evil look. "Yes alpha."

As soon as Shane was out of earshot, Ian turned his attention to me. He leaned in close. "If you ever slap me like that, I swear I will lock you in the basement for a week."

Then he noticed the pieces of the air vent on the floor. He drew his breath in. Then shaking his head he looked back at me.

I didn't feel that this was the appropriate time for a smart remark. So I stayed silent.

Ian grabbed my hand and pulled me toward a doorway. He sat me down at a large wooden table.

I sat, not knowing what else to do. Eyeing the doorway, I watched Ian move about the kitchen.

Then as if reading my mind, "Caroline, don't even think about the door. I already have guards outside waiting on you."

I wanted to check and see if he was bluffing, but instead I stayed still. A few minutes later, Ian turned towards me. There were two plates of spaghetti in his hands.

He set one in front of me before sitting down with his own. He nodded towards the food and not knowing what else in the world to do, I eat.