Chapter 3: Avia's Home...They're Gone

“Them” Devonne looked at where Zendaia’s finger was pointing. They were here. She didn’t know who but she could see their shadows. She could feel their eyes piercing through the curtains.

Avia’s Point of View (I tried not to be tempted into writing one but…)

I could feel them. I could still feel their presence even though I no longer see them.

When I went up to my room after my parents and my brother told me that they were going to watch a movie in the cinemas, I felt them. Eyes staring right at me, everywhere I go. I did my homework, doing my best to ignore their presence, thinking it was my paranoia. When I checked what time it was, I saw from the mirror’s reflection from beside the desk clock, I saw them.

My hand snaked to my pockets, fishing for my phone. I kept my eyes trained on them, not even glancing sideways as I stood up and went to the window where I saw their shadows from. The phone rang three times before Zendaia answered with a cheery “Yellow”. I told her to come over. I didn’t stop to think what they were but I felt it in my gut that they were the same things that sang us that song before.

“Zen, they’re here” I said. I was crying but I was doing my best to calm myself. Zendaia told me that she and Devonne would be here ASAP so I relaxed a little.

When Zendaia hung up, my body went rigid. From the window, I could see their silhouette. They were silhouettes of children. A child brought his hand up and touched my curtain. They were behind the window, outside of the house but it never came to my mind how they were able to touch my curtains which were inside of the house. It never occurred to me how I could hear their giggles clear as day from my room when I could barely hear myself at that moment.

My legs went weak but I was able to walk myself away from the window. I slid down, my back pressing against the wall but my eyes never strayed away from the silhouettes from my window.

After a few minutes, but it felt like hours to me, Devonne and Zendaia ran inside my room. My eyes were filled with tears as I ignored what my two friends were telling me. I just lifted my hand up and pointed to the silhouettes. There were more of them now. “Them” I whispered out, barely audible. My sight was then wrapped in darkness as I felt my head land softly on someone’s lap.

Back to Normal point of view

The two teens were staring wide eyes on the window.

Ring! A phone rang through the silent house.  The two teens stared at the direction of where the ring was coming from, in the living room. But when they stared back at the window, it was empty. No silhouette casted behind it.

Hesitantly, Devonne stood up from her crouched position and slowly walked towards the living room, leaving Zendaia and an unconscious Avia on the floor.

The raven-haired teen walked nimbly near the wall. She poked her head beside the wall and saw that no one was in the living room but her. She walked towards the phone that continued to ring and she brought it near her ear.

“You’ll regret that you even came to save your friend, Onee-san.” A voice said. Immediately upon hearing the unfamiliar voice, Devonne threw the phone away from her ear and glanced at her surroundings. She was alone. There was nobody else in there with her unless…

Back in the room where an unconscious Avia and a stiff Zendaia were sat, the blonde teen started to stir from her short nap and her eyes fluttered open.

“Wha-what happened, Zen?” Avia asked as her blue eyes widened in worry. Zendaia shushed her to calm the blonde teen and helped her to stand up. Together, they walked slowly towards the living room where Devonne went to answer the phone earlier.

Zendaia stopped in her tracks when she saw movement from the corner of her eyes. She immediately flung her body in front of Avia, protecting her from what may have broken into her house. “What was that?”

Avia tilted her head and asked, “What?” she suddenly became alert when she too saw movement. “Did you see that?” she asked the red-haired teen.

Zendaia nodded her head as she lifted her finger to her lips, shushing the blonde. They walked slower than before towards the living room. “Dev?” she asked. “You there?”

They turned her head towards the stiff Devonne. Zendaia’s green eyes were closed shut immediately. She felt light headed. She heard her friends yell her name but it happened all too fast. When she opened her eyes, she was wrapped in pure darkness. “Av? Dev? Where are you guys?” she asked to no one in particular.