Chapter 2 *Gifts*

I stood in front of my full length mirror as I studied the way my body looked in the tight one shoulder LBD and how long my legs looked in the sparkly red heels that where six inches.  Being 5ft and 2 inches I had learned to walk in heels from a young age. Trinity had styled my hair into loose curls whilst the Bella twins had insisted on doing my makeup. Ever since lunch I hadn't been able to get Trinity's comments about Joe out of my head. Was I being too stubborn?

"You look deep in thought, what's up?" Brie asked. It was now just the two of us in my room. 

"Am I being selfish with the Joe situation?" I blurted, sighing deeply and plonking myself next to her on the bed.

"Selfish? No. But stubborn and guarded, yes." She shrugged. This is what I loved about Brie, she wouldn't lie just to save my feelings. "I can understand where your mentality is coming from, you've given up so much for this opportunity but trust me when I say that having a relationship wouldn't interfere with that. If he lived in another state and had another profession then it may be more of  problem but he's not. You're both wrestlers at the same stage in your careers."

She had a valid point. We both lived in the same area, had the same work schedule and we were both in training. But there was another problem nagging at me. One that was hard for me to push aside.

"What if he can't deal with my mental state?" I whispered, hanging my head in shame as Brie looked at me completely confused. There was something I hadn't told anyone besides Trinity since moving here. Something only my bosses were at liberty to know.

"Whatever you're hiding, you can tell me." Brie assured me quietly, taking my small hand in hers. Looking up to her face I saw her eyes where full of worry and her expression soft.

"I'm schizoaffective." My confession seemed to hang in the air as she processed what I said. "Basically I'm too crazy to be Bipolar but not crazy enough to be Schizophrenic." I tried to joke, not a lot of people knew what it was due to it not really being one of the most 'advertised' mental illness. 

"A lot of people have left you because of this haven't they? That's the main reason why you're scared of being with Joe. You don't want to get hurt." Instead of looking at me with pity or disgust, Brie's face held understanding.

"Yeah, it's screwed up so much of my life. I've been hurt too many times and I guess I just don't want to go down that road again." I shrugged, trying to feign nonchalance.

"Sweetheart, this is nothing to be ashamed of! All this means is that your brain works differently and that you sometimes need extra support. But I've seen the way Joe is with you and I think he could handle this. I think everyone has already guessed that there's something different about you, just by the way you are. Sometimes you're incredibly hyper and sometimes you won't even talk. Yet nobody here treats you differently because we're your family and you don't have to hide anything from us. Joe will understand and it won't change anything." Brie was careful with her words, not wanting to say the wrong thing but yet wanting to get her point across. With a kiss to my forehead she left me in peace to think everything over. She had a valid point, about everything. Only just a few days ago I'd had an angry swing and he'd managed to calm me down. There was a knock on the door and Brie opened it to reveal Joe on the other side. "I'll leave you guys to it." She muttered before giving me a look as she closed the door behind her.

"I didn't get a chance to give this to you earlier." He reached into his pocket and brought out a present wrapped in red tissue paper.

"Joe, you didn't have to get me anything!" I protested, taking the gift from him when he gave me a look that told me to stop being stubborn.