Walls

We all build walls. Around our hearts. And our feelings. And our relationships.

But why do we spend so much time building a wall when we could be building the city within?

Because we fear the unknown. The unconquered. The renegade attackers who could injure us with fire and destruction.

But why not just strengthen the individual buildings of the city?

Why not let each part be strong and unshakable and secure? Why build an enormous barrier behind which we can hide?

To protect us from the outside. However the unknown can bring newfound knowledge. The unconquered can be conquered. The renegades who bring chaos, they can too be useful. Their created chaos in the moment may seem as though a tragedy, but it can lead to growth.

New buildings are built stronger and bigger and better. Even the best buildings can benefit from being rebuilt with new materials and new ideas and designs. More efficient city plans can be made. Outside influences can be shown throughout the city in minute and immensely better details.

Walls stop this progess. They block out the temporary destruction. However there can be no renewal without destruction. Behind the strongest walls of the world lay some of the oldest and most dilapidated buildings and cities. Their ancient design can easily be destroyed by modern methods. Their walls have lost their effectiveness over the ages. However they stand as though their walls will protect them from outside influence. Their own designs crumble.

If they had built weaker walls, they would be stronger. The renewal and rebirth of the core of the city strengthens and secures it better than any walls ever could. The renegades come and pillage. But the city is rebuilt again and again. Each new group leaves behind their ways of building.

Over time the buildings are built stronger than any others. The city keeps its original culture and look, but changes its structure and foundation. The city never builds walls, instead focusing on production of goods. The city prospers as others must buy their stone and mortar from the city to build their walls higher.

The city without walls is a heart without things to hide behind. Open to the world, it gains many views from the opposition. Even with the burning and destruction of these renegades, the city is rebuilt and will continue to rebuild. The city is stronger than others when the walls are taken away. Its buldings are built using foreign techniques which are stronger. The original look of the city is untouched.