Chapter 1

England, London 1994

I looked out of the window.

It's been one week since I came to this place.

This place sucks. And I really mean sucks.

S U C K S

Exactly one week ago, I was all alone. I lost my family. Everything changed. They took my brother and my sister from me. I bet they are still in Michigan or somewhere in USA.

Well I am here. Trapped in this place. In London.

How long do I even have to wait for a pair new parents?

I mean, its not that hard to take care of a 16 year old girl! Or is it?

I dont know. I dont really know what on really is going on right now in or outside this earth. And I dont really care. All I know is that I am lost!

I know that I am in London but I dont know what's going to happen.

I am lost in my thoughts...

The kids here dont really mind that this place sucks. They seem to be happy. Maybe beacuse they are used to this? Maybe because some of them have been here since they were born? I should probably be more like them. But no. Of course not. Then I will just forget my family and my life before this. No I dont want to be like them!

This place is a quite small place. There is about 15 of us and 3 adults who take care of us. One of them sleeps in this building every third night. So they kind of share it. They make food for us, clean our clothes, well sometimes, and clean the house. And we all have to help each other. That's quite disiplined and good for us, they say. We are in groups when we have to help them. Two and two. And from my point of view, it seems like no one likes me. Like I came and destroyed everything and how it was.

Or maybe I am wrong?

No one really talks to me. They dont ask me if I want to do something with them. We share some glances sometimes. I try to give them a smile but they never see it.

Most of the time I'm in my room doing nothing. Reading and looking out of the window have become my two hobbies. Thats maybe all I do. The adults always tells me " Tell us if there is anything you want or if you want to talk. We will always listen, care and understand". But it feels like no one will ever understand me. How it feels to have been loosing your parents. Watching them have pain and watching them die. I feel lonely. I wish everything was normal again. I wish I was in USA. Everything was perfect then.

But besides everything I have this huge feeling that there is a way out. That there is a solution of the problem. There is hope. There is hope inside me and the bad thing with it is that I always get this strange pains in my chest. Pains that symbolise that I am just imagening it. My family is gone! They will never come back! Even if that is all I want to.

All this thought are running around in my head as I watch the other kids having fun in the sunny weather. Some of them, in my age and older, are sitting on the gras and talking and laughing. I bet they are talking about some girly stuffs. I used to do that with my friends. The boys are "fighting" with each other and the younger ones are playing some games, chasing each other and climbing on trees. They have fun. Like nothing have ever happened in their life. And what am I doing?! Well I am here being depressed. Thats all I can do. I want to be more like them but I am too shy and afraid.

I hear the clock ticking. Did I mention the clock? Well its my new best friend. The clock is all I hear when I am alone. And I am always alone. Almost always.

The adults grills out there. They thought it would be a wonderful day for us to grill.

They are almost done. Christina, one of the adults, is laying the table. John is screaming at the kids to get inside and wash their hands.

"COME ON KIDS! GET INSIDE THE BUILDING AND WASH YOUR HANDS! THE DINNER IS READY."

When they left the garden to go and wash their hands, Josh looked up and met my eyes.

"Come on Audrey! Aren't you hungry?"

"yeah."

Even if I was in my room he could hear my silent answer.

"Well come on then! Wash your hands and get ready for some delicious food." he said and smiled.

I get up of the windowsill and walk to the bathroom.

As I am washing my hands I can see my reflection on the mirror. It has been like ages since I saw myself. I have changed. I look different. I am pale and tiredness is washing all over my face. I dont even know who I am anymore.

I shake my head and continue to wash my hands. When I am done I take a towel and dry my hands with it. I walk out of the bathroom and walk up to the stairs. When I am about to walk down I see a flash of lights coming from the closet that actually is empty. There is just some old stuffs.

I walk up to the door and stand there and listen for any strange sounds. I cant hear any sounds so I grab the doorknob and I am about to open the door but there is just so many thoughts in my head.

What of there is something dangerous?

What if there is a creature that is very creepy and eats me and then take over the whole world?

Dont be silly Audrey! Just open the door!

I press the doorknob down and the door slides up. And then I see it.

Its right on front of me.

"What the hell...?!"