𝟏𝟎

✦ .  ⁺   . ⁺ ✦ .  ⁺   . ⁺   ✦

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟎: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐨𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫

The next morning, I woke up to a loud thud. I shot up, looking groggily around the room. It turns out, the loud thud was Hermione's thick book landing on the ground. 

"Oh, I'm sorry I woke you up!" Hermione said startled as she took her book up. 

"No, no, it's okay," I mumbled as I got up. 

"You slept early yesterday. Were you not feeling alright?" Hermione asked as I looked through my trunk. 

"Er —" I paused to think. 

"Were you homesick?" 

"Not really." 

"Then, what is it? I won't tell anyone." 

I took a deep breath. "I'm not used to magic yet, and everybody here seems to know everything about magic." 

"I don't know much either," said Hermione softly. "Are you Muggle-born?" 

"Yes, I am." 

"So am I." 

That startled me. 

"You are?" I asked. "B-but you know so much about the wizarding world!" 

Hermione chuckled softly. "A little by books." She smiled. 

I smiled back. Wow, Hermione was a Muggle-born! 

"Ready to go down? I think you know the Fawleys, don't you?" Hermione asked. "I wanted to talk to some Pure-bloods." 

"You could talk to loads. You could talk to Ron Weasley too! He's the one with red hair, remember?" 

"Yes, I do." There was something about her voice that showed that she didn't like Ron. 

"It's okay. He's nice, I promise," I said smiling back at her. 

✧✧✧✧

"Diane!" a voice called as Hermione and I hurried into the Gryffindor Common Room. 

I turned to see Cassie Fawley waving her hand energetically and Lily, Leslie, and Belle motioning us to join them. 

"Hello there," Lily said to Hermione. "Who might you be?" 

"Ooh, I remember you!" Leslie said, clapping her hands. "Granger, Hermione right?" 

"Yes, that's right," Hermione said smiling. 

"I'm Lily," Lily said. 

"I'm Belle." 

"I'm Leslie." 

"I'm Cassie." 

"And we're the Fawleys!" they all finished at the same time. 

"They're cousins, even though they look the quadruplets," I explained to Hermione. 

"Really? So, you're pure-blood?" Hermione asked the Fawleys. 

"Yes," Belle said. 

That minute, the Common Room flood into murmurs. 

"There, look." 

 "Where?" 

 "Next to the tall kid with the red hair." 

 "Wearing the glasses?"