Alice

Unlike Jasper, Alice never saw him coming. And, reluctantly, she had to admit she liked the surprise. She found herself counting the ways he was different from her former partner; the heat for instance. There was nothing hot about Jasper. He was all cool edges and icy glances, tight stone-like tendons and quick movements, which Alice had loved about him for several little eternities, partially because he was a vampire, like her.

But Jacob Black was something else. He had soft curves and hot stares, warm skin and careful but strong movements, which sent a thrill through Alice every time she thought about it. About him.

On some level she still felt guilt about how often Jacob crossed her mind. She made a commitment to Jasper long ago with her entire being and she knew it was a betrayal not only to him, but to her kind as well to ever think of Jacob in any way other than as a friend. But Jasper wasn't there. He'd made the decision almost twenty years prior to relapse into the habit of feeding from humans- no, not the decision, because something that's so closely related to addiction wasn't a choice- but he'd made the decision to refuse help from Alice and their family, to flee Forks for somewhere in Africa, to be impossible to find. He made the decision to walk out on what he and Alice had built together.

And yet here Alice was, feeling guilty for just thinking about another. And still, after and in spite of everything, loving Jasper more than she'd ever loved anyone.

It didn't help that Edward knew everything she was thinking. Edward... he was supportive but that didn't mean he approved. He loved his sister so if she was happy he'd never purposely say or do anything to ruin that. But then again he felt the same way about Jasper.

Edward and the others- aside from Bella who was great at simply accepting things for how they were those days- had yet to accept the fact that Jasper was gone and probably for good. And because of this Alice wasn't sure she could ever really move on. It was difficult to move on when everyone else had pressed pause.

Alice hated Jacob. Even after she started having... thoughts about him. The wolf stench metaphorically churned her stomach and was incredibly hard to look past. The arrogance that radiated off of him the majority or the time. Not to mention all the things he'd said and done to Edward and Bella all those years ago. Though she supposed it was about time she got over that. After all, Jacob was an incredible friend to both of them now, and the way he was with Renesmee was something really beautiful. She laughed to herself as she thought about Bella's initial reaction to Jacob's imprinting. Everyone had assumed it meant something romantic but truthfully Jacob was more like a second father to Renesmee than anything.

Alice was shopping for a birthday gift for Renesmee when a vision flashed in her head of Nes unwrapping a vintage polaroid camera and lighting up with excitement.

"Yes! Thank you," Alice exclaimed to herself, startling nearby shoppers. She hadn't figured she'd find anything of Nessie's taste at a chain store, but until she got the vision she'd been grasping at straws trying to decide what to give her on her special day. A polaroid camera was perfect! Nessie loved having vintage things and loving them like they were new.

The Cullens were throwing a birthday party for Nessie the next day and Alice was obviously in charge of everything. Bella may have been her mother but parties still weren't her favorite- a flaw that somehow managed to survive the transformation from human to vampire.

Nessie hadn't attended school in Forks because of her abnormal and inhuman growth rate and she had always been consumed by the things and trinkets that piqued her curiosity more than anything else, so the amount of friends she had to invite was minimal. Alice sighed. The demon child didn't fall far from the antisocial mother and outcast father, did it?